Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin B

I've read a few posts on here about music while riding and to a point I agree , but I ride a MTB and a lot of the places I choose to ride have zero traffic , zero side roads and lots of forward vision on things such as toe paths . I also so far ride alone so would it be so bad to stick an ear bud in one ear and have a few tunes on the ride .
Don't get me wrong here I would never ride on a road with traffic wearing headphones , but wouldn't mind advice or experiences of ppl who do it or stopped due to problems

FWIW I've worn earphones both on road and off road all my life and couldn't imagine riding solo without music.

Horses for courses innit :smile:

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
I think this subject is on a par with helmet use - it's a very personal thing and everyone has their own views on it.

I ride mostly off road, in quiet woods, trails and on canal paths. I have a journey of around ½ a mile to get to the off road point and on this stretch I would never use earphones.
However, as soon as I am off the road, the music goes on! I enjoy my music but I am always aware that there could be someone behind me, so I tend to just use the one earphone.

OP
OP
Colin B

Colin B

Oh yeah couldn't agree more headphones on road I wouldn't do nor would in wear both off road . I get all the safety sidbut there's them days where I want a bit of music but safely done

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I think it is personal choice here.

Personally, I don't like the idea of taking away or reducing one of my senses on road or even off road. While you are obviously less likely to have reason to need your hearing off road, I do know there have been times when someone has come up behind me (well of course, that's because I'm slow) and I've been glad I heard them. I have most definitely come across people walking/running on trails who are listening to music and I end up having to shout at them to let them know I'm behind them, which can get to be frustrating. And FWIW, unless the music is mono, I'm not sure I could deal with just one headphone too.

<old curmudgeon alert>Is it just me, but what's wrong with the soundtrack of nature? With the advent of portable devices, why do people feel the need to listen to music? What's wrong with leaving it behind now and again?</old curmudgeon alert>

Jody

Stubborn git
I prefer having my music on when riding on my own but am fine without. Off road would be generally both plugged in if wearing them. If I am on a cycle track I tend to keep left and have a periodic glance over my shoulder or a quick look before changing direction.

On road is a tricky one. Sometimes I wear the left one on low volume but it depends on the day and ride.

Top Bottom