Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

langloan

Hello guys n gals I'm new here . I bought a Cambridge quella ss. I changed the handlebars due to handling and lower back problems. I cycle in the Glasgow North lanarkshire area and its not flat. Its 44 16 and tbh kills me on the hills and although its speedy on the flat I would never spin out. 57 fairly fit but not for 44 16. looking to change the cog but I'm not sure if 18 would make much of a difference ?

Sharky

Guru
Yes. 64" as opposed to a 72". But there will always be a gradient that is too much. Should be able to manage 1 in 8's or so.
Good luck
Keith

Hello guys n gals I'm new here . I bought a Cambridge quella ss. I changed the handlebars due to handling and lower back problems. I cycle in the Glasgow North lanarkshire area and its not flat. Its 44 16 and tbh kills me on the hills and although its speedy on the flat I would never spin out. 57 fairly fit but not for 44 16. looking to change the cog but I'm not sure if 18 would make much of a difference ?
The Quella is a great bike, not really that good for hills though. Get a couple of different sprockets so that you have a choice. Then it's down to your leg endurance, I'm afraid. Only practice will help you there. Good luck:thumbsup:

Before you spend out on different chai rings and sprockets, have you considered borrowing a geared bike to try lots of different ratios on one ride?

Try your usual favourite few rides on a geared bike and make a note of what hills "require" what ratio for you to be comfortable. Also try on the flat at your comfortable cadence, or the speed you want to cruise at and note what gearing so you use there. Then try going up a hill on your "flat" gear ratio, and try a flat ride in your "hilly" ratio. You can then decide on your favoured chainring:sprocket ratio and pick a best fit

My preferred ratio for "regular" cycling in East Anglia is 48:18. With this I can cruise all day at 18-19mph (but spin out on the flat at 21-22mph) and get up the few short, sharp hills that we get here. In the shed I have a 17t sprocket, a 42t chainring and 2 spare chains. If I know my ride will be particularly flat I swap in the 17t sprocket and my shorter chain. If I am travelling to a more hilly area I put on my 42t chainring and shortest chain.

Gearing on SS is always a compromise, a best fit. There will always be one hill that beats you, or headwind that is just too much, or a flat where you always spin out. However, this is usually for about 2% of your riding. The more you get used to SS riding style and the fitter/stronger you get, the easier you'll find it!

J

3narf

For whom the bell dings
^
What he said! Practice riding a geared bike in one gear. The fun is pedalling in and out of your 'sweet spot.'

Initially it's just going to feel like hard work but when the speed and cadence gel you'll start to get it. You'll actually feel uncomfortable going too slow and feel like you want to pedal faster to be at a more efficient cadence... Once you find your natural gear ratio it's almost spiritual!

Top Bottom