Advise and recommendations for a rucksack for commute, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The Deuter bags are great. They have a good system for keeping your back cool and dry. Obviously you'll sweat a little, but it's remarkably good.

Plenty of neat touches, and they take hydration systems. I've got the 'Race' version which is great, and it has a rainproof yellow cover integrated.

Don't listen to the rack fans, why put weight on your bike and affect the handling, especially if you weave in and out of traffic. As for me, after minimizing everything on the bike, a dirty great rack would ruin it...........

Monty Dog

Deuter Race X-Air - it's got a suspended mesh back and straps - about as airy as you can get. Doesn't come in yellow so buy a waterproof cover instead. Doesn't hold too much, so makes sure you don't overload yourself. Mine's 5 years old and still looks like new.

Will1985

Über Member
I've got a baby Vaude Roomy 12+3 which is supposedly a female model, but I like it. I can carry a lock and rolled up clothes or shoes on their own. You would probably want a bigger model, but some of the range have reflective covers built into the bottom of the bag.

Tynan

Veteran
'why put weight on your bike and affect the handling'

erm yeah, carry the same weight higher up and less secure

never mind the sweat

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
'why put weight on your bike and affect the handling'

erm yeah, carry the same weight higher up and less secure

never mind the sweat

You're clearly not riding quick enough!!!!:biggrin:xx(

I'm sweating all over anyways when i stop, a bit extra on the back makes no difference.

And if you're taking corners fast on 19mm tyres, you don't want a bloomin pannier messing it up for you.

It's like the thread about bar bags, they ruin the look of a bike.....

Road Fiddler

I hate hanging things of the bike although i compromised with guards.

I use a Maxpedition Falcon 2 military specific tactical patrol sac because i already had it. It is designed to be very stable and not restrict movement or vision. I was amazed how stable it is without using the waist belt and sternum strap on the bike even when im in the drops, it is very narrow so does not restrict your vision when looking behind and it has loads of compartments and pockets for keeping your bike stuff in.

I am not suggesting anyone gets one as it is not very appealing for most people and it would have not been my first chose if i had to go out and buy one but i am surprised with its performance on the bike.

The Deuter Trans Alpine 30 is by all accounts an excellent sac with rave reviews and would probably be my chosen sac if i had to get one.

Top Bottom