Advise for a Hybrid in the 300-500 price range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

choffan

Regular
Hi all!
I live in Cambridge area, I am a man and I am about 190x78kg. I am looking for a bike that would fulfill my commuting. The bike has to be new to make use of a bike-to-work scheme my employer is offering. All in all, a hybrid would probably suit me the best.

Given the extremely high rate of town theft, I would like to stay below the £550 price mark because anything above that would attract enough crime intel to rival with Spectre lol .

I am a noob on biking, hence I apologize if my view is skewed and partial, but so far I could identify the following models and I need a recommendation for choosing between (as well as integrating with other models if you have any recommendation)

Trek FX1 2022 model - £399
Trek FX2 2023 model - £550
Decathlon riverside 900 - £399
Decathlon city urban 900 - £399
Carrera subways 2 - £390

I would link the bike purchase to a monthly insurance, which for this price range would be around £3.5.

Any thoughts warmly appreciated!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Firstly I would discount the Riverside due to its suspension fork, heavy unnecessary and ineffective at this price point.
A commuter should have mudguards and lights so City Urban has a lot of appeal. Remember it only has a single front chainring as opposed to a double on the others so not so helpful on steeper hills.
Hydraulic brakes are worth having for more being more effective with better modulation, so the Trek FX2 scores over its cheaper stablemate. The Subway is the cheapest of the bunch and is equipped with hydraulic stoppers so worth considering, can be a bit heavy though but shouldn’t worry you too much if your commute is fairly flat.
Edit: If it were me I’d go for the better Trek.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Hi Cycleops (love your name!) thanks a lot for the kind recommendation. Probably a default option bias, but I am leaning toward the Trek 2 at the moment given your comment and a few things I read online. The only problem of the Trek 2 is that only the L frame is available whereas I would need the XL. I wonder if the difference in size can be made up by tuning or frame is a hard constrain and I should stick to XL models?
I would like to expand the list with the following:

Pinnacle Lithium 3 - £500
Specialized Sirrus 1.0 2022 Hybrid Bike - £425

Trek FX1 2022 model - £399
Trek FX2 2023 model - £550
Decathlon riverside 900 - £399
Decathlon city urban 900 - £399

:welcome:

I'm from Ely and regularly cycle around Cambridge (it's the most convenient option to get to the places I need to go), so yeah, know where you're coming from.

As long as you get a bike that fits you well, anything unassuming will do the job tbh. Most bikes at that price point are much of a muchness. Just make sure you've got eyelets to take mudguards (a must when it's wet and mucky, especially on the commons) and a rear rack so a reasonable set of panniers can transport all your gubbins. Also, as @Cycleops says, drop the front suspension fork, you really don't need one. It will also make the bike more nickable simply due to fashion / kudos.

DO budget for good locks however, one each for front and rear if your bike is going to be left unattended and out of sight for any length of time. It won't deter the pro with an angle grinder, but it will make an opportunist look for an easier target. The number of bikes I see left either unlocked or secured with a basic thin cable lock makes the mind boggle...

Also, likely you will probably want to upgrade the OEM tyres to ones with good puncture protection - some of the rat runs, bus lanes and cycle paths seem to accumulate a fair bit of glass and metal shards.

P.S. I can't advise on bikes I'm afraid as I'm a short lady cyclist, but the basics apply across the board. :smile:

tom73

Guru
Can only add to what been said.
I'd go with Trek FX Mrs 73 has one though not the one's your looking at. But they are basically the the same bike just different spec.
She loves her's and it's a fun bike to ride I've found maintenance side pretty easy on them.
Only really way is to go and try them out the best one will always be one that fit and feels right for you. My sound funny but if you like the look of a bike and it feels right then go for it. Your more likely to ride one you like than one you don't.

Jameshow

Veteran
One other thought, the trek might be more likely to be nicked than the other suggestions. Just because it's a premium brand?

However I'm not up-to-date on bike theft in big cities.

Velochris

Über Member
I would discount the Carrera as it has 27.5 size tyres. Not as much choice in commuter style tyres at that size.

The Trek would probably hold value better than others, thought that may not bother you.

Depending on the scheme, Evans sell the Pinnacle Lithium 3. Looks like an XL in grey is currently £400. Shimano hydraulic brakes etc. Not sure if they still do schemes on sale bikes though.

tom73

Guru
One other thought, the trek might be more likely to be nicked than the other suggestions. Just because it's a premium brand?

However I'm not up-to-date on bike theft in big cities.

Good point which maybe true all you can do is follow the basics, good locks and avoiding higher risk areas. Will always make it less likely to be nick than one with crap/no locks and asking for it. As with anything if they really want it they will but easy to "grab and go" targets will also be prime.
Equally it may work your favour be easy to spot if it went on the open market among the more common brands at this price point.
Be aware it may get nick but don't let it stop you from using or owning a bike that's right for you. Is the fear just that or backed up with stats ? I don't know it's not my part of the world.
Only the OP knows the place the bike will be stored/park and can judge if it's high or low risk.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I wouldnt keep a new bike outside all day no matter what the cost was it will be stolen I cant stress this strongly enough. Someone will just nip home and get the grinder and come back and take it.
Get the bike put on the house insurance, this will be the cheapest option.
If your leaving the bike outside for longer than a few minutes I would get one of those bikes secondhand and think if it goes it goes.

vickster

Legendary Member
As said, Cambridge is notorious for bike theft. If leaving out all day, get a beater as cheap as possible, certainly not something new and shiny for £500. 10/10 bike theft probability :ohmy: given the number of thefts relative to size!! Cambridge is not a big city. Expect that’s not opportunistic theft, but targeted by criminal gangs
https://www.comparethemarket.com/home-insurance/content/bike-theft-hotspots/

Last edited:
Given the theft situation, you should cost up a beater / commuter hack for Cambridge. What are your current annual costs for local transport?

Ideally a hack will ride much better than it looks. It will have no quick release levers, just bolts, no fancy branding or labels.
I have made good enough hack bikes out of skip rescue bikes but you do need to invest in some new bits.
You need high quality tyres such as Schwalbe Marathon or the bulletproof Marathon Plus

You dont need to insure a hack, just keep a float of money handy for replacement. ( put it into premium bonds, you never know) .

All uphill

Still rolling along
Given the theft situation, you should cost up a beater / commuter hack for Cambridge. What are your current annual costs for local transport?

Ideally a hack will ride much better than it looks. It will have no quick release levers, just bolts, no fancy branding or labels.
I have made good enough hack bikes out of skip rescue bikes but you do need to invest in some new bits.
You need high quality tyres such as Schwalbe Marathon or the bulletproof Marathon Plus

You dont need to insure a hack, just keep a float of money handy for replacement. ( put it into premium bonds, you never know) .

I take an interest in the bikes left all day at our local station, and have noted a few things that chime with your comments.

There is a bicycle rack immediately outside the station master's office. That is always full as it's a busy, well lit spot.

Several of the bikes appear to have been 'aged' with the application of tape or paint. Very few of the bikes have QRs. Tatty saddles, or saddle hidden under a Tesco bag.

Last edited:
Exactly. There is no good reason to have a bike worth more than £30 for locking up in a town.

If you buy an expensive bike, you'll be carrying two locks which negates the point of a lighter bike in the first place.

When I used to park up in Derby, I had a bike that cost about that much. It cost about the same as a week's commuting by bus, so paid for itself many times over.

Top Bottom