Aero Socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
There's an UCI rule for socks?!! Is this some bizarre dream? Wake me up, somebody!

figbat

Slippery scientist
There's an UCI rule for socks?!! Is this some bizarre dream? Wake me up, somebody!

1686130305689.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check's OP's postings, fairly new to road cycling ! Erm why buy them ? People only use them in Time Trials - i.e. racing.

You'll get better results shaving your legs (again only any use if you race really and a PITA to do) - shaving is mainly for embrocation application (warming cream) and after race massage etc - far easier than a hairy leg).

Don't forget the £2k carbon wheels for commuting to work on either :whistle:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Check's OP's postings, fairly new to road cycling ! Erm why buy them ? People only use them in Time Trials - i.e. racing.

You'll get better results shaving your legs (again only any use if you race really and a PITA to do) - shaving is mainly for embrocation application (warming cream) and after race massage etc - far easier than a hairy leg).

Don't forget the £2k carbon wheels for commuting to work on either :whistle:
OP is not entirely new to cycling, and has by now surely learned the most important skill: How to ignore people that tell him how he should enjoy his hobby.

Whether it's aero socks, carbon wheels, shaving legs or whatever else - whatever you like or dislike, is not necessarily what others like or dislike.

And since they're closing down - all proceeds go to Air Ambulances UK :becool:

P.S. Found out about them myself when my GF bought me the 'Strava Wa**er' one :laugh:

Oh that's a crying shame. I bought the last Large pair on sale. Explains why they're so cheap I guess though !

DogmaStu

Aero socks are just one part of an aero kit.

Typically, you'd get a 3W saving at around 40kph but at 50kph this increases to 5W+.

Taken in isolation then, nothing much there, certainly for the Club and Sportive rider or even the Cat 1 - 4 racer. But they aren't meant to be worn in isolation from other parts of an aero system.

Triathletes, Time Triallists - these can benefit significantly with aero socks/overshoes combined with aero jersey, helmet, bike and body positioning.

Contrary to what some would incorrectly assume, you don't need to be a Pro to benefit from an aero system, even a Club-level cyclist who enjoys TT's can benefit and see their PR's improve.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Don’t you mean aero belly? Remember aero dynamics is not just about surface area, but also how the layers of air flow past and what happens behind you. Most the drag is caused by low pressure behind you.

indeed, a bit like the shape of the rear-end of high speed trains, its important to have an aerodynamic backside.

Top Bottom