Aero v Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been searching all over the internet to find out which wheel option is better. I am trying to decide wether to buy a nice set of aero wheels (sram s60/Mavic cosmic carbone) or some light weight wheels (racing zero's). I mainly ride rolling hills nothing major and a mixture of club runs to solo's and some club races.

The more i read the more I get confused about the aero benefits out weigh the entra weight but I am still unsure. Any one have any advice ?

I have had the same problem deciding on my wheel upgrade - so have hedged my bets by getting a Carbone Premium rear and Eurus front. The deciding factors were not the aero/weight factors but rather the robustness of the wheel and the terrain I use, and this combo should (I hope) do the job.

Reading the various reviews etc I think you can get dragged into thinking that lightweight wheels are no good for tt's etc and that aero's are no good for climbing,however unless you are a pro and live in the Alps or time trial ultra seriously they are both equally good as far as I am concerned.

Will1985

Über Member
Aero trumps weight almost all the time, and front is more important than rear. If the Racing Zeros are significantly lighter, I would say they should serve you better in going up hills.

accountantpete - you shouldn't worry too much about a Cosmic Carbone front - they are built just like Hed Jets in that the spokes are attached to the braking surface and are as strong as a normal alloy rim. The carbon is just a fairing. I have Hed Jets and Campag Zondas and there is a noticeable difference in speed at a given power. There shouldn't be too much between Zondas and Eurus uphill since they use the same rim (the significant rotating mass). At similar weights, I've even used the Jets in hillclimbs for that little extra aero edge.

lukesdad

Ive recently invested in s60 s cant fault them and what a difference. Aero over weight every time. Mind you havnt used them in a major crosswind yet.

Will1985 said:
accountantpete - you shouldn't worry too much about a Cosmic Carbone front - they are built just like Hed Jets in that the spokes are attached to the braking surface and are as strong as a normal alloy rim. The carbon is just a fairing.

I was concerned about acorns and twigs!!:laugh: I tour the back roads and the front wheel seems to get it's fair share of knocks from debris in the road.

AlanW

Guru
As I see it it all depends on your intended use and how much you are prepared to spend?

You say that you ride club runs and some club races. So do you want wheels that look nice or wheels that perform?

Lightweight aero wheels deliver that's a fact, but would you want to use them on a club run, I don't think so? Why use aero wheels for clubs runs anyway???

Saving weight will always come at a cost, normally strength and reliability.

So its all about comprise isn't it, cost, looks, performance, weight, strength and reliability.

Personally I would love a set of aero wheels, but I do not race any-more so why? I cannot justify spending a grand on a pair of decent aero wheels that I know will not stand the test of time for normal riding, and that's aside from the side wind problems.

So I have opted for lightweight normal type wheels, ie the Mavic Kysruim SLs.

These are really light and really strong, and are ideal for my chosen cycling these days, ie Audaxing. Due to their construction, they make an truly excellent climbing wheel.

But if the urge for aerowheels is so great that your life will not be complete until you buy some, consider the Mavic Cosmic Carbone's. Not the lightest, but pretty bomb proof. The spokes attach to the rim and not the aero section, this is only a cover and not an integral part of the wheel. Plus you have a aluminium rim braking surface.

Oh.....of course, then there is the debate over having tubs or clinchers?

Carbon rims or aluminium rims?

AlanW

Guru
I should have added, 15 years ago when I was time trialling, and subject to conditions, I used to use a Ambriosio disc wheel.

This wheel alone was twice the weight of a pair of wheels, and gosh did it take some getting up to speed. BUT....when it was rolling, the flywheel effect takes over and boy did you used to get a move on. :smile:

However, and as we all know, everything comes at a cost, if it was a undulating course, and you lost your rolling speed, it was dead weight. :wacko:

OP
OP
simon walsh

simon walsh

Über Member
I wouldn't use them club runs I have a set of Racing 5's for that just for racing and my club has a really good racing schedule. Saying that some guys do use them for the club runs at time's. I don't think I would use them much on the runs but I could use the Zero's on every run no trouble so they would be better value for money. :smile::wacko:

Luckly my LBS is Slane Cycles so a really good bunch of guys who know what they are talking about and have got loads of different wheel sets.

My new cycle to work voucher is going to pay for them so up to £1k which bring it down to decent money.

Top Bottom