Aero wheels add much speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would be wary of attributing a 3 min improvement from the "aero" effect of the wheels, most likely as Black and Yellow says, the reduction in weight and nicer tyres or the new gear placebo effect might have a fair effect though, especially on uphill sections. Also they may have been stiffer so less energy loss due to wheel flex. The aero effect is present but 3 mins worth, debatable. All round it is hard to tell really. So many variables.

Also, I am not familiar with the route, but at a guess, a few traffic light stop variances or traffic between the 2 rides could have caused the time difference. Cant seem to see speed vs distance data in order to see how many times you stopped etc.

buddha

Veteran
I've had to switch back to 'normal' rims for now. My usual wheels only have a shallow 30mm depth, but that still makes it a bit too sketchy for me, at speed (25mph+) in exposed, gusty conditions. I don't race though, and prefer to feel safe.

I would be wary of attributing a 3 min improvement from the "aero" effect of the wheels, most likely as Black and Yellow says, the reduction in weight and nicer tyres or the new gear placebo effect might have a fair effect though, especially on uphill sections. Also they may have been stiffer so less energy loss due to wheel flex. The aero effect is present but 3 mins worth, debatable. All round it is hard to tell really. So many variables.

Also, I am not familiar with the route, but at a guess, a few traffic light stop variances or traffic between the 2 rides could have caused the time difference. Cant seem to see speed vs distance data in order to see how many times you stopped etc.

No, I agree I don't think it was all aero - it has however now been a fair few runs before and after (3 before 4 after the change I think) and the times have been consistent, so I am convinced the combination of tyre/wheel change has made around a 0.5/0.6mph difference. Using Strava to analyse the results it showed I was faster on both the hills (where aero would make little difference as I was only average about 20kph) and the flats (nearer 40kph) - I don't really have the time or inclination to go any further and work out % change before and after vs. speed of section. I prefer to go out riding than sit in front of a spreadsheet ^_^

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Deep section rims with flat pedals and trainers. How dumb would that be....

It would look stupid! Personal experience: When I moved home the day before a club intro ride I couldn't locate my cycling shoes among the mess of boxes so as a get out of jail card I had to fit a pair of flat's and ride in a pair of plimsoles, I felt like a total asshat rolling along on my fixed gear bike with Tri bars, in my lycra and a pair of white plimsoles. :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
rolled up jeans and plimsoles? was it an urban fixie fakenger..? They like that sort of thing...

Aerospoke front, deep section back, oh and wheels of different types/colours - just wrong.

Garz

Squat Member
Got standard v shaped rims on my carbon road bike right now. Say I can do about 20mph hour or so, what would aero wheels do for strait line speed?

Dunno but on the recent Great Manchester Cycle I overtook a handful of 'aero' wheeled riders on the last lap hearing the wooooooooooooshing sound they produce. When I got back home I then realised they can't be that good if I was overtaking them! :laugh:

They say that clip in pedals offer the biggest improvement but I absolutely despise them. I have been told several times to get some but absolutely no chance. Besides TT bars, what other upgrades would have a noticeable speed improvement for a given amount of effort?

I hear the Aero helmets and clip on bars offer the best improvement on TT's.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Dunno but on the recent Great Manchester Cycle I overtook a handful of 'aero' wheeled riders on the last lap hearing the wooooooooooooshing sound they produce. When I got back home I then realised they can't be that good if I was overtaking them! :laugh:

I hear the Aero helmets and clip on bars offer the best improvement on TT's.

Don't forget the gains that are made by swapping your baggy clothes for proper cycling attire :tongue:

monnet

Guru
Conventional wisdom is that deep section wheels only have a real benefit when you're hitting 40k plus for meaningful periods of your effort. So, great for racing and testing probably not for the club cafe run. At those speeds the benefit comes twofold - the aero benefit helps deliver greater speed for a slightly lower power output. I've never turned an aero wheel in anger but people I know who use them say the benefits become very apparent in breaks and bridging gaps to breaks. At 20mph, the gains would be minimal I'd have thought - I'm no great shakes but, riding Ksyriums, I regularly finish ahead of people on deep section wheels (in TTs and road races).

Of course in racing there's also the benefits of stiffness etc. Riding tubs also saves a few watts and roll a bit faster too.

As for flat pedals and deep section wheels...Well, I've always ridden clipless so I wouldn't know but a couple of mates turned up for the club 10 on a tandem. Problem was the front man realised he'd forgotten his shoes when they were getting ready. So they rode the TT tandem with him in trainers. Result? They broke the course record....(he looked rubbish though!)

Top Bottom