Aerobars - are they any good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I quite often get pins and needles in my hands while out riding my bike so I'm toying with the idea of buying a set of Aerobars just to be able to take the pressure off my hands/wrists as I cycle.
Does anyone use them and are they worth buying?

l4dva

Guru
I think you'd be better off upgrading your gloves/bar tape first....

aero bars would be used for time trailing/triathlons etc... going flat out on the straights things like that... I'd imagine it would be very dangerous navigating around city roads on aero bars.... and it may take the pressure off your hands/wrists and move it to your lower back in the new lower riding position??

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It might be an idea to get a bike fitting and check that you bike is properly set up to fit you. There maybe simpler (and cheaper) things which could be done to make your ride more comfortable.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I think aerobars were first used by ultramarathon cyclists, so they'd certainly be a possibility for distance riding- may be an option however whether they are comfortable for you or not will depend on the fit of your bike- you may need to mess around with stems, bar height, saddle position. Out on the open roads tribars are pretty easy to handle, in traffic you just switch to riding on the hoods (you'll lose the tops since the tribars will be in the way- although I sometimes ride along with my hands on the wrist supports).

It is likely that making adjustments to your current bike will make you more comfortable, may be putting too much pressure on your hands- bars possibly too low or too far forward?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Profile make a £40 aero bar, its aimed at tourers, could help out I guess.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Profile_Century_Aero_ZB_Aero_Bars/4000000916/

l4dva said:
I think you'd be better off upgrading your gloves/bar tape first....

aero bars would be used for time trailing/triathlons etc... going flat out on the straights things like that... I'd imagine it would be very dangerous navigating around city roads on aero bars.... and it may take the pressure off your hands/wrists and move it to your lower back in the new lower riding position??

I absolutelly agree with the gloves or better bar tape comment.

But

Its absolutely fine navigating cities on tri bars, I do it twice a day on what is apparently the busiest bus route in europe (Im conditioning myself to ride like that, I dont do it for speed) :smile: as long as you have your wits about you and arent trying to weave through traffic at 5mph it is fine.

When adding tri bars you alter your seat set up to accomodate the possition, the riding possition on tri bars is pretty much the same as on a normal road bike, but rotated around the hip. Only problem here, is now when riding on the hoods or the drops you will be rotated into a possition which puts even more pressure on your wrists and hands.

palinurus said:
I sometimes ride along with my hands on the wrist supports).

I dont know what aerobars you use, but be aware profile arm rests apparently have a tendancy to smash if you do this, as it weakens along the part where the arm rest curves upward. I smashed a pair, when riding normaly in aero possition, I must add, when I returned them, I was asked if I ride resting on them with my hands when riding upright (I said no because I dont) and was informed that the only time they have seen them smash like this is people riding upright on them, they changed them for me no problem, just thought I'd mention it.

vorsprung

Veteran
Adding Aerobars is unlikely to work long term as you will just end up with a pain elsewhere

On a bike your weight is split between the feet, backside and hands
Or the pedals, the saddle and the bars

If you are getting pins and needles in the hands chances are that there is too much weight on the bars.

The cheapest way to fix this is to pedal harder which moves weight to the feet

Try leaning back on the saddle

A shorter stem might help

Top Bottom