Aerodynamics - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Having recently watch a video of the skilled bunnys @ Rolls Royce & BMW building their top end models with consummate skill and care, it did occur to me that both brands now sport what can only be described as slab fronted monsters.
It appears to be much the same with SUVs that any attempt at what we used to call streamlining has been totally abandoned.
Am I missing something, or are the rules of physics now being ignored for some other perceived 'god of motoring' - ? :whistle:

presta

Guru
It's about fashion. Always fashion.

When streamlining was a good gimmick cars were streamlined, currently the 'in thing' is SUVs. What passes for choice in a consumer market is 1001 different versions of the same product, and the more competitive the economy gets the fewer minority interest get catered for.

Fashion is socially and economically destructive, but it's consumers with no independence of mind to blame not the manufacturers, they just have to make the same as everyone else or go bust.

Before they became fashionable, SUVs were just a means of circumventing the US emissions legislation.

A couple of months ago I read an article saying that Ford are completely discontinuing production of saloons, estates & hatchbacks, everything but SUVs, and that Volvo have already done so. I hope it's wrong.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Was only thinking this the other day - in a world of supposedly dwindling finite resources cars are bigger, denser, heavier and generally more obnoxious than ever.

Just think of the performance and economy you could achieve by taking current engine tech and fitting it into something that doesn't have the mass / size / drag coefficient of a three-bed semi.

Yet another of the myriad reasons that we as a race deserve our inevitable self-imposed extinction.

We're the evolutionary equivalent of a petrol-soaked monkey discovering fire - intelligent enough to figure out how to use it, too thick / irresponsible / arrogant to do so without turning ourselves into the inevitable char-grilled chimp.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It's about fashion. Always fashion.

When streamlining was a good gimmick cars were streamlined, currently the 'in thing' is SUVs. What passes for choice in a consumer market is 1001 different versions of the same product, and the more competitive the economy gets the fewer minority interest get catered for.

Fashion is socially and economically destructive, but it's consumers with no independence of mind to blame not the manufacturers, they just have to make the same as everyone else or go bust.

Before they became fashionable, SUVs were just a means of circumventing the US emissions legislation.

A couple of months ago I read an article saying that Ford are completely discontinuing production of saloons, estates & hatchbacks, everything but SUVs, and that Volvo have already done so. I hope it's wrong.

Volvo still make non-SUVs, they just don’t sell them in the UK any more.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
People want headroom and legroom so that's what they are given. I guess any aerodynamic design to the front would interfere with safety crush zones, or would just be too expensive. Good mpg is not going to net the manufacturer any money once it's out the door, when people usually buy cars for looks and function.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why does a car need the external size and aerodynamics of an office block to give customers decent head and legroom? I'm much taller and wider than average, with a 35" inside let for good measure, and all but smallest regular sized cars provide ample accommodation.

It's nothing more than automotive willy-wagging.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
People want headroom and legroom so that's what they are given. I guess any aerodynamic design to the front would interfere with safety crush zones, or would just be too expensive. Good mpg is not going to net the manufacturer any money once it's out the door, when people usually buy cars for looks and function.

Just like everything else in our grimey, consumption-led economy, people want what they're told.

The rise of soft-roaders and "SUVs" has everything to do with marketing and little to do with practical need; two exemptions potentially being demand from a growing (and historically unprecidently affluent) older generation who covet the accessibility of higher ride heights, plus the arse-about-face, unintentional result of the prevelence of speed humps in urban areas; which are less abhorrent to the occupants of large, long, heavy vehicles.

In addition we live in an ever-more hostile, divided and individualist society; where people increasingly value the "superiority" over other road users afforded by driving something massive with an elevated seating position.

Viewed from every other angle these vehicles offer only drawbacks; inferior fuel economy, handling, ease of parking, road visibility for other road users, survivability for third parties in accidents...

Most people willing to take the enormous depreciation hit on a new vehicle probably don't care about fuel economy and if they do base their decisions on official figures that likely bear little relevance to real-world performance.

In any case hydrocarbon fuels remain ridiculously cheap relative to the energy they contain / the impact of their use; thanks to the fact they're essentially freely-available natural resources open to anyone with the means to extract them... the real cost effectively subsidised by the rape of nature and the subjugation / exploitation of regions rich in these resources.

Sadly the rise of these nasty icons of conspicuous consumption is just another miserable example of the polar difference between the direction we should be taking as a society, and that we actually are thanks to the dominance of the usual negative human traits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom