Aerodynamics - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
They could be much lighter, smaller, fuel efficient, not obstruct most roads. Instead they have just got bigger, heavier, wider, less practical and designed around carrying 4 adults sat on sofas, when they’d be better suited being sized for one or two people.

Totally agree.. it's a pathetic state of affairs tbh. Was only thinking earlier when out on the bike how the majority of vehicles on the road are now big, high-rise soft-roaders / SUVs / chelsea tractors - with all the horrors their additional mass, size, ride height and frontal area bring to the table.. and for what? Boomer convenience and fashion :sad:

I always wanted to go the other way with an S2 Lotus Elise - modest power in something that weighs as much as a fag packet; sub-6 to sixty and still over 40mpg. Sadly I sat on my hands too long and they're now out of reach.. although there were always practicality concerns.

By and large the way we choose to transport ourselves is a sad indictment of the human condition.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think we reached peak car design with the later Morris Minors … 4 seats , travel all day at 60, easy to fix …. Simple …
AND …
still be working after an exoatmospheric nuclear blast… The EMP will take out all cars with ECU’s …. But points ignited cars and motorcycles will still run ……
We need Morris Minors …

With the addition of a five speed gearbox and disc brakes, at least on the front, a Moggie would be a near perfect car

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Boomer convenience and fashion :sad:

Eh majority I see driving them are Millenials. But it’s not a generational thing. But it’s not just that, kids are now driven to school in large numbers, instead of them walking or cycling. Then a proliferation of these large wide vehicles sitting around 95% of the time, causing plenty wide roads to become narrow single track with passing places for what it’s worth.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When my 1958 moggie’s engine died I bought a crashed mini clubman and fitted the 1275 cc engine to the moggie ….. that was fun … fiddley but fun ….

Was there extra complication from the mini engine being turned sideways? Appreciate they're both "the same" A-series but didn't know how much was different between transverse FWD versions and the MG midget fore-aft version. The plentiful availability for FWD A series in 1275 and over makes that a much easier option parts wise

wafter

Was there extra complication from the mini engine being turned sideways? Appreciate they're both "the same" A-series but didn't know how much was different between transverse FWD versions and the MG midget fore-aft version. The plentiful availability for FWD A series in 1275 and over makes that a much easier option parts wise

Wasn't the mini's gearbag sort of lashed into the sump under the engine..?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
By and large the way we choose to transport ourselves is a sad indictment of the human condition.

Plus not all conscious, far from a war on the motorist, it’s been the complete opposite. Heavily promoted and subsidised (still) and our infrastructure and use of space and planning over the past 70 or more years, heavily based on prioritising motorised vehicles at the expense of all else. As a result they’ve spread like a nasty virus and our roads hsve become mass car parks.

wafter

Plus not all conscious, far from a war on the motorist, it’s been the complete opposite. Heavily promoted and subsidised (still) and our infrastructure and use of space and planning over the past 70 or more years, heavily based on prioritising motorised vehicles at the expense of all else. As a result they’ve spread like a nasty virus and our roads hsve become mass car parks.

True, although individuals still (in theory at least) have free will regarding what they choose to drive and the circumstances under which they do so.. but yeah.. the establishment has done a great job of upselling the car (and of course all the economic activity that comes with it).

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Indeed, not wholly a separate unit like a minor or Midget. As a pal put it, "The gearbox runs in hot engine oil, which is too thin and it doesn't like it, and the bits of metal which scrape off the gears get pumped around the engines, which that doesn't like either". He used to race minis and became British champion at his particular thing (Autotesting - essentially handbrake turns and spins round cones)

presta

Guru
I always wanted to go the other way with an S2 Lotus Elise - modest power in something that weighs as much as a fag packet; sub-6 to sixty and still over 40mpg. Sadly I sat on my hands too long and they're now out of reach.. although there were always practicality concerns.

My TR7 was the only two seater I had, and my father used to take a certain amount of smug pleasure watching me having to make two trips to ferry people when one would have done. ^_^

...having typed that, I've just realised it sort of wasn't: my first car was a Mini van, and that had been my father's before me. He and I had forgotten about the times when some of us had to take turns to ride on the floor in the back. Perhaps I could have bundled my grandma into the boot of the TR7....:rolleyes:

lazybloke

Considering a new username

I had drove several BL cars with that format.

The gearboxes didn't seem to mind running in engine oil.

Well, the gearboxes easily outlived the engines... But that's not saying much.

Can't remember if the diff used the same oil too; i think it did.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had drove several BL cars with that format.

The gearboxes didn't seem to mind running in engine oil.

Well, the gearboxes easily outlived the engines... But that's not saying much.

Can't remember if the diff used the same oil too; i think it did.

My Metro engine well over 100,000 miles before failing. It was a fairly rough car when I bought it and I absolutely hammered it, so I think that's fair enough. It had burned prodigious amounts of oil for a few years prior. I rebuilt the engine; the only one I've done. A bit of a pain to remove and replace but a straightforward rebuild. Had the rebore and crank regrind done by others

It's probably fair to say that my pal's type of motorsport was incredibly hard on gearboxes. One of the moves was to lock the wheels up, and whilst still sliding, to change between first and reverse and get the wheels spinning against the direction you were still travelling, so I guess a less-than-optimum gear oil may have been the least of it

Last edited:

wafter

That’s how brain washed and inbuilt it now is. No consideration to may be not drive. The 15 minute neighbourhood is a brilliant idea but sadly it gets all the bollocks about impinging on freedom etc.

Yup; as with every other aspect of life. Best one can do is opt out IMO. Either humanity will pull itself back or destroy itself; either way we'll not have played a part in it and hopefully avoided a bit of the misery associated in conforming to this self-destructive groupthink..

Top Bottom