Affordability Tests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's one thing we did 27 years ago was see if we could afford the mortgage at 12 percent plus as they'd been that rate previously. We could have just about managed. I suppose you've got to test those assumption's yourself, as the rates have been pretty low.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I suppose it's a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.

Hopefully it will prevent people on low fixed being stuck on the variable rate when their deals end.

Alex321

Veteran
I suppose it's a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.

Hopefully it will prevent people on low fixed being stuck on the variable rate when their deals end.

How would it do that?

It changes how people are assessed when first applying for a mortgage, it doesn't affect what deals your mortgage provider may offer when you come to the end of a fixed term.

Joffey

Big Dosser
How would it do that?

It changes how people are assessed when first applying for a mortgage, it doesn't affect what deals your mortgage provider may offer when you come to the end of a fixed term.

Mortgage Prisoners

Your current provider may not give you the best deal so when you apply with another company you fail the affordability criteria despite being able to show you are already meeting the payments on a higher interest rate.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's the right thing to do for those who have a vested interest in propping up ridiculous house prices in the short term.. :rolleyes:

midlife

Guru
I gather there will still be a cap on how much you can borrow.

gbb

Legendary Member
I guess there is, and always was an appetite to buy whatever the risk.
I remember arranging my then very insubstantial mortgage, I was still wary, nervous, u sure, tried to factor in a safety net etc etc. I remember saying to the lady at the building society...'how on earth do people take on mortgages 4, 6 times more than what I'm paying ?'
Her actual words were...'they just gulp and sign...and hope for the best

Those worrying costs at first diminish...assuming everything stays pretty much the same..
Pay ridiculous rental costs or plunge into buying your own....neither is without its uncertainty. Long term everyone knows buying is the right thing to do...its just a gamble you have to take.

Top Bottom