after 30 miles muscle ache in shoulder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I have noticed that often when I cycle in excess of 30 miles that my shoulder really starts to ache and could do with some embrocation a la deep heat! I have a short stem on the bike and don't feel over stretched...any ideas? should I do some stretching exercises and keep moving from hoods to drops? Any ideas or thoughts would help as I am trying to up my mileage.

How old are you?

Just do some arm swings every now and then to loosen things up a bit.

If it persists, see a physio.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
How old are you?

Just do some arm swings every now and then to loosen things up a bit.

If it persists, see a physio.
60 years young and am uping the cycling so that I can still compete in my real love of running. I have a touch of osteoarthritis in hip so cycling really helps keep me fit without annoying the hip

60 years young and am uping the cycling so that I can still compete in my real love of running. I have a touch of osteoarthritis in hip so cycling really helps keep me fit without annoying the hip

Just try some simple arm/shoulder exercises (not too vigorously) prior to going for a ride, or just a few minutes a day when no-one's watching you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnecKO2V-KwzYoCuo8E5aZCTX_tiZnh2FEpYGeBqZ4pJ3Wnkk8Fw.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqNvT27gNhNj01VPcFHcbNUgVbFlCEzuXU8lmcpan--Xj2z9iBgg.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRybT5jIh4H5LntFFZ5mH5ilxNHDpkApXzKZsHvDgbFKVwqnfMo.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnecKO2V-KwzYoCuo8E5aZCTX_tiZnh2FEpYGeBqZ4pJ3Wnkk8Fw.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnecKO2V-KwzYoCuo8E5aZCTX_tiZnh2FEpYGeBqZ4pJ3Wnkk8Fw.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 38
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqNvT27gNhNj01VPcFHcbNUgVbFlCEzuXU8lmcpan--Xj2z9iBgg.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqNvT27gNhNj01VPcFHcbNUgVbFlCEzuXU8lmcpan--Xj2z9iBgg.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 38
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRybT5jIh4H5LntFFZ5mH5ilxNHDpkApXzKZsHvDgbFKVwqnfMo.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRybT5jIh4H5LntFFZ5mH5ilxNHDpkApXzKZsHvDgbFKVwqnfMo.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 37

pawl

Legendary Member
I have noticed that often when I cycle in excess of 30 miles that my shoulder really starts to ache and could do with some embrocation a la deep heat! I have a short stem on the bike and don't feel over stretched...any ideas? should I do some stretching exercises and keep moving from hoods to drops? Any ideas or thoughts would help as I am trying to up my mileage.

Voltorol 12 hour gel helps my ageing 75 year old legs

dim

I'm just guessing, but if the stem is short, that means that your shoulders are nearer the handlebars, and you are more hunched over, so there will be more weight onto your arms/hands.... causing the aches in your shoulder?

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
the stem is shorter as I have long legs and short arms (I was going to say shorter arms....but we all have shorter arms than legs :smile: but I see what you say dim and I will certainly be more conscious of my riding position when I go out for a long cycle on Tuesday

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Voltorol 12 hour gel helps my ageing 75 year old legs
I think I will purchase some 12 hour Voltorol gel Pawl....BTW do you do a lot of cycling? I suspect as I get older I will invest more time in cycling than running as it is so much kinder on my limbs

I suspect as I get older I will invest more time in cycling than running as it is so much kinder on my limbs

Wise. I've never seen a smiling runner.

pawl

Legendary Member
I think I will purchase some 12 hour Voltorol gel Pawl....BTW do you do a lot of cycling? I suspect as I get older I will invest more time in cycling than running as it is so much kinder on my limbs

I think running and hill walking is the reason I have to use the gel.Iwas. Never a long distance runner,mainly 10k.

Still can enjoy the golden years cycling.

Tin Pot

Guru

Bike fit.

vickster

Legendary Member
Upper body strength training? Core training? Pilates or yoga?

I've got about 15 different post op shoulder stretches. Easy enough to get via google

Or see a sports Physio :smile:

Top Bottom