I think maybe I have that same pseudo self destruct. Our mortgage was paid up 5 years ago when we sold up, packed in jobs and moved. We're living off savings, watching bank balances dwindle. It's curious. Knowing something will happen, a kind of car crash fixation, but not feeling motivated to do anything about it. I simply enjoy the time off I have for as long as I have it.
Sweet !!
With the recession and short time at work a few years ago i had to start from scratch , down size and now my mortgage will finish 1 month after i retire assuming i live that long .
Paid ours off early 10 years ago, nearly wiping out all our savings to do it but I would do it again in an instant. It was a life changing moment. I can still remember I was mowing the lawn the day the postman brought the deeds down the garden path. I went into the house to open the envelope, looked at the deeds for a few minutes with my wife, and then went back out to finish off cutting the grass. By the time I put the mower away an hour later, I'd decided to change from a career which I realised had become increasingly just a means of paying the bills - including the mortgage - to one where I felt I stood a better chance of living rather than existing.
Mrs Noodley is taking early retirement next week, and her lump sum will pay off everything with the exception of the mortgage. I have another 20-25 years to work, so I can cover the mortgage... it'll be great only having the one thing to pay rather than loans and credit cards as well.
Mrs Noodley is taking early retirement next week, and her lump sum will pay off everything with the exception of the mortgage. I have another 20-25 years to work, so I can cover the mortgage... it'll be great only having the one thing to pay rather than loans and credit cards as well.
Yeah but look at all the blessings this brings; the piper calls the tune and you are...the piper! The breadwinner, the head-honcho, the rain-maker, the dog's-danngly-bits, the hunter-gatherer. It's only to be expected she pays due diligence to the socio-economic conditions prevailing under your roof.
Still credit cards to pay off though but at least it wont be a set amount every month. I will be able to decide how much I want to pay!
Travel France more as there are areas I have never been and take my wife to Provence as she has never been there as I used to spend my holidays in Provence with my parents, so many years ago!
I've got a split loan with 3 years on the endowment part of the mortgage to go and officially 10 years to go on the capital and interest part. However my mortgage is offset against my savings and I've had enough of the latter to pay no interest for the last few years. Just resisting the tempatation to actually pay it off until the children get through university, just in case I need a wodge of cash to help.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.