after a mountain bike for me and the mrs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

So you could try it there and buy from Evans. Personally I wouldn't buy a bike via mail order unless I knew exactly what it was and it was a really good deal and even then I would be hesitant.

I know it depends what you are buying sometimes but I would be thinking, what happens if it has to go back during warranty. May not be likely and many people may disagree but I can't help feeling that buying locally is better.

If you're only talking about saving a few pounds and I'm not sure you're actually saving anything here, I'd go local and look at the choices you have. Just my opinion though.

I don't know the Trek bikes but £350 for a hybrid with no suspension! Should be quite a good bike with good equipment (some of it is Bontrager which is a good brand)

Recycler

So far ive had a look in halfords and they recommended the carrera crossfire 1 at 269.99, but i also saw the carrera subway ltd at 199.99.

Both of those are hybrid bikes, rather than mountain bikes. They would be fine for road use and the occasional bit of easygoing off-road stuff like towpaths. Unless you are doing real rough stuff you won't need a fully fledged mountain bike.

Don't forget to allow for any extras like mudguards, lights, racks, helmets, bags and a few tools, but only you can decide if you will need those, though it is easy to spend just as much on extras as on the bike itself!

Pauluk

Recycler said:
Don't forget to allow for any extras like mudguards, lights, racks, helmets, bags and a few tools, but only you can decide if you will need those, though it is easy to spend just as much on extras as on the bike itself!
+1 :thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The dutch/"girlie " style bikes tend to be heavy so would be harder work, the one you just listed is a single speed so it might be a problem on hills.

Pauluk

There's nothing to say you can't ride a mountain bike on the road and you can even get some fairly slick tyres for them these days.

Hybrids tend to have thinner rims so can take thinner slicker tyres if you want but they can also take thicker tyres too. They also have 700mm wheels, the same as a road bike. Unless you are doing really adventurous off road stuff then as Recycler has said in his post earlier a MTB my not be your best choice, a hybrid bike may be a better as a road bike may be too flimsy (not really the right word) for some of your off road stuff.

As for the Dutch, they don't have any hills there so probably don't have too many gears which she will need in the UK.

My daughter uses her Mums old Sarasen MTB (mans bike) for tracks and road and she won't change it even though we have a spare hybrid and a far better MTB she could use.

Pauluk

If your partner wants a girly bike (and why not) make sure its got a good range of gears, is as light as you can afford and fits her well. There will be nothing worse (well maybe there are worse things) than pedaling an heavy bike with no gears with your knees under your chin, especially when the shines worn off the newness if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
J

jameshiggon

If your partner wants a girly bike (and why not) make sure its got a good range of gears, is as light as you can afford and fits her well. There will be nothing worse (well maybe there are worse things) than pedaling an heavy bike with no gears with your knees under your chin, especially when the shines worn off the newness if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. Are there any specific brands in particular that tend to make decent budget girlie type bikes?

subaqua

What’s the point

the rebound from the fork is negligible on the road. even with knobbly tyres its easyish going on the road. you could also change the tyres to semi slicks for less than £20 from decathlon and the nioce people there may even do a swap for free for you if you ask realy nicely ;)

Top Bottom