After a new commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
ooooooooo its n+1 time! :hyper::dance:

requirements:
rack and mudguard fittings
a big frame (Im 6 foot 5)
as light as possible
Drops
> £1000

I quite like the idea of a CX because of the disc brakes and the ability to go and do a little offroad (we have some woods around here Id like to explore). But a great value commuter would supersede that as I could then go and n+1 a mountain bike later on!

any ideas?

Ive looked at:
Boardman CX (likey)
spesh tricross sport disc (likey, but not too fussed about the midnight blue!)

any other ideas?

BSRU

A Human Being
A Ridgeback Panorama would be a good choice for a steel drop bar commuter.

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy

lejogger

Guru
Boardman is great. Does everything you specify. I'm finding it's needing a lot of niggly jobs now I've gone 4,000 miles plus though. That may be the case for all bikes though, I've never done that much mileage on one before!
It's also not the lightest in the world when comparing it to my carbon, but it's not likely to be. There's certainly a lot of fans of it on here.

Not experienced the tricross at all.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Actually does... not sure about the skinny front forks though

it has a steel fork, which adds weight. The Honky has a carbon fork.

The one draw back with disk brakes is that you need a disk specific rack, which is a big ugly thing, and mudguards can be a PITA to fit. But i have both on my bike and they work fine.

lejogger

Guru
The one draw back with disk brakes is that you need a disk specific rack, which is a big ugly thing, and mudguards can be a PITA to fit. But i have both on my bike and they work fine.
Due to the way the disc brakes are positioned on the Boardman there's no need for a disc specific rack. I just have a standard Tubus Vega.

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
[QUOTE 1869050, member: 45"]Get the Tricross.[/quote]

But that blue.. Urgg. And the Alex rims too. I have Alex rims on my crosstrail and they're horrid lumps. I'm also put off spesh a bit by the quality of my crosstrail, it's really not done well through the winter

Mike!

Guru
For the money I don't think the Boardman CX can be beaten given your requirements (and before getting mine I looked!) - however is it big enough?

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
For the money I don't think the Boardman CX can be beaten given your requirements (and before getting mine I looked!) - however is it big enough?

Yeah it's the frame size that worries me a bit. I'm going to pop into helfords and see if they've got one to look at.

I can't get over how nice that genesis looks tho! Bit worried about buying online though, such a pain if anything is needed under warranty.

lejogger

Guru
Good question. I have the large frame and I'm 6ft. I guess you'd have to try the XL and see how it felt.

Top Bottom