After the Linear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
The Linear has a SACHS 3 X 7 which works well, the only drawback being that they're no longer made so future parts might be a problem. I'm resigned to finding the Sturmey Archer version to replace it if the worst happens. It has a toggle chain which seems more durable and less accident prone than the click box on the SRAM Dual Drive. Even though discontinued, there are still parts available for the Dual Drive. The idea is a good one, though I've also got a double chainring on the Linear which some might consider a bit OTT with 42 gears, compared with 24 on the Spirit. You can get carried away with numbers, when the range, particularly the low end, is what counts.

Now I'm getting the hang of it, the Spirit's bars don't seem so high. I have reversed them and fitted them upside down so the reach feels less cramped. They are certainly handy for putting such things as bell, mirror, Garmin on, and the stem has a mounting for a water bottle. You don't get this convenience with USS.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
The Linear and Spirit for comparison.
P102079Linear and Spirit 3.JPG

Linear and Spirit 2.JPG

Linear and Spirit 4.JPG

The Linear really is a beast next to the Spirit. The Spirit bars are minus the grips at the moment until I get the bars set up the way I want them, at least for the present. The Spirit, though upright, has a lot less frontal area and is lower than the Linear, and has potential for further recline in the seat. The Linear has the advantage of larger wheels.

grldtnr

The Linear and Spirit for comparison.
View attachment 693209

View attachment 693207

View attachment 693208
The Linear really is a beast next to the Spirit. The Spirit bars are minus the grips at the moment until I get the bars set up the way I want them, at least for the present. The Spirit, though upright, has a lot less frontal area and is lower than the Linear, and has potential for further recline in the seat. The Linear has the advantage of larger wheels.

Where's the Sinner?

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Where's the Sinner?

Well, since you asked.
P1020799.JPG

P1020800.JPG

P1020796.JPG

P1020797.JPG

There's a bit more recline available on both seats though on the Spirit I might have to make some kind of neck rest using the support bar.
The trike wins slightly on length, though in 2 wheeler terms it would probably be a Compact Long Wheelbase design, as the bottom bracket is behind the steerer tube. Terminology changes over the years, simplistically the distinction between SWB and LWB isn't the actual wheelbase but where the bottom bracket is in relation to the steerer. The Spirit could technically qualify as a SWB as the bottom bracket is welded to the front of the steering tube. However this type of design was once known as a Mid Wheelbase bike. Nowadays it would be lumped in with Compact Long Wheelbase bikes as there isn't much in it. Confusing, or what? As fashion in recumbents as in everything else changes, CLWB bikes are less popular now, trikes, particularly tadpole trikes seem to be more popular, then SWB bikes. Popular is a very relative term. When did anyone last see a recumbent anything? (unless there's one in your shed or garage).

Anyroadup, they make a colourful pair.

grldtnr

They even seem quite 'chummy'?
I rather like the cut of the Sinners jib, be interesting to ride one, how stable is it ,in comparison to your other recumbents, I could be wrong but I am thinking a 'tadpole' trike may be superior.
But if one was under offer, I'd take the chance !
Well don Twiddler in being lucky to have such an esoteric stable.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
I am pretty fortunate. I suppose it's true that once you have a recumbent you can't help acquiring more in the quest for the Holy Grail, the one that does everything. Also that relatively speaking I haven't had to spend much, compared with those that can spend thousands in pursuit of their dream. It's been more of a cost in time and effort, to get things more the way I would like them.

The Delta design is more of an underdog in today's recumbent trike world so maybe that's part of the appeal to me. I'm more of a two wheels person, so maybe it'll go in due course, in the interests of making more space. I can park it on its back wheels in the garage so that helps with the space situation. I suppose there'll be a clamour for a photo of that, now I've mentioned it!

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
After the Linear ?
28/9/23

Progress so far with the HP Velotechnik Spirit.

I’ve had this Compact Long Wheelbase Recumbent for a bit over three months now, so thought I’d just do an update on it.

My main concerns were in setting up some cockpit type bars and getting used to the seat recline by degrees.

I’d initially reversed the original bars so they were rather more backswept and downturned than as supplied but still were not quite where I wanted them. I then fitted some Humpert Englischer bars to get the cockpit effect on a budget but with the stem set swept back as the manufacturer intended gave too much tiller effect. I was reluctant to reverse the stem but having looked at photos of other recumbents with cockpit style bars it seemed that that was what I needed to do. This actually did work well, bringing the handlebar grips closer to the steering axis, so I made some adaptations and with some small adjustments got them to fit comfortably.

As the grips essentially point downwards with these, I got hold of some barrel shaped handlebar grips to make holding them with light fingertip pressure more convenient, so that my hands were less likely to slip off on uneven road surfaces. Maybe something more like a vintage doorknob style grip would be even better.

As I’ve gradually stretched my mileage I’ve had none of the arm or hand issues that I’d been expecting with the transition from underseat to overseat steering. There’s no hint that even longer rides will cause any to develop.

The range of seat recline isn’t particularly extreme but due to neck issues I thought I might have some twinges, so had planned to increase the recline by degrees. In the end I just went for the full recline, and haven’t had any problems.

The curious sensation of having bars with a lot of leverage yet a small, lightly loaded front wheel has taken some getting used to but it’s just a matter of adaptation and getting used to the feel of it. It hasn’t let go yet, and pretty much goes where it’s pointed.

The Radical seat back bag, which also works well on the Linear, rather dwarfs this bike. It’s useful, and I delude myself that its shape might add 0.001 mph to my average speed.
P1020881.JPG

I have some small Carradice cotton duck panniers which I’ve tried on the underseat rack though I had to order a set of Carradice rack adapter rails as the underseat rack has much thicker tubing than the vintage panniers were designed for. They look ok, though I’m tempted to order a set of Super C recumbent panniers since I’ve got the rack. It’s just overcoming the hurdle of the Carradice price premium.
P1020883.JPG

I initially had qualms about the rolling ability of the small wheels but with decent pressure in the tyres they roll well and the suspension soaks up the bumps. I certainly don’t have any worries about doing longer trips on it.

HP Velotechnik recumbents have a reputation for being heavy but the Spirit doesn’t give that impression. Maybe due to its low slung design the weight may be there, but isn’t obvious, even when climbing. The previous owner lowered the gearing so the lower range is similar to that on the Linear and there are low gears to spare. It’s not spectacular but gets up there steadily. Weight wise it doesn’t feel so much like a Panzerfiets or Panzerwagen. With its curvaceous yellow frame, maybe more like ein Bananenwagen.
P1020886.JPG

When I first had it the rear derailleur was a little reluctant to change between some gears but it’s settled down now. Some cable/ chain stickiness from lack of use, perhaps. I’ve even got used to the plasticky clickety clackety sound of the Sram twistgrip shifters, though I preferred the faint zizz of the ratchets on the Linear’s bar end ones.

I recently bought a couple of basic chrome mirrors from Halfords. They were very inexpensive so I had no hesitation in cutting down the stems to suit my needs. With one each side the rear view is now very reassuring.

The bars get through local cycleway access barriers OK and the bike is fine on mild off road trails and bridleways.

It just remains to do some longer day trips to confirm that this can match the Linear for comfort. It looks promising so far. The 160mm cranks suit me OK, no thoughts of going for longer ones at present.

It came with a Supernova E3 “always on” front light and SON hub dynamo. Not being able to switch it off used to bother me when I first had it but now I just ride it and only think about it when I notice it. Certainly on one of my earlier rail trail rides I caught up with a couple of walkers who said they’d seen me coming from “miles away”. I’m not an advocate of daytime running lights but as it’s reputedly a good light I’m not going to mess about with it. Now that winter is coming I’ll soon have the chance to evaluate it for myself.
P1020884.JPG

Even though it’s “compact” it’s still a long wheelbase bike which together with the suspension helps as plus points towards a comfortable ride. The small wheels have the usual advantages of spinning up fairly quickly when accelerating, and quick steering, while giving a low frame stepover.

An interesting assortment of qualities to be getting on with. A further update will appear in due course.

Top Bottom