After the ride yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Yesterday Helly79 and I went for a cycle ride around the Norfolk countryside. We normally stick to around 25 miles for the ride as im still getting used to being back-in-the-saddle. Anyway, we did 41 miles which brought up a few problems for me...

I think I either need a more padded saddle or some padded shorts but am unsure what would be the best option. I like the saddle that I have on the bike, but for long trips, its a bit rigid. Any suggestions would be welcome

My seating position is comfortable for most rides and I didn't find excessive wrist ache etc but I will probably invest in some gel fingerless gloves to dull some of the road vibration. The grips that I have are pretty squishy, so I dont think they need changing really + I like the idea of gloves in case of a spill

Its obvious that I need to pace myself better too on the ride as the jump from 25 to 41 was a bit much. I also pulled a muscle in my left leg at around the 35 mile mark.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get some of the excellent dhb bib shorts from Wiggle.

Was it a pulled muscle or cramp?

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Globalti said:
Get some of the excellent dhb bib shorts from Wiggle.

Was it a pulled muscle or cramp?

Thanks for the advice, I am looking at wiggle now :smile:

Well, it didnt feel like a cramp, more like a pull. It hurts today when I bend it (left leg, rear of knee on the outside). I know when it happened, I over-exerted myself when steadily spinning up a hill :/

Martok

Klingon on a bike
I remember the first time I did a 40 mile ride. I was suffering somewhat in the crotch department by the end because I was wearing ordinary underwear under my cycling shorts and they had rubbed and chafed a lot.

I subsequently purchased a few pairs of Altura Temo Undershorts. The wicking fabric and padding in all the right areas have made a big difference and I've not had a problem since.

As for gloves, I wouldn't ride without these. I've got the Specialized BG Gel Mitt for when the weather is reasonable, the Specialized BG Gel Glove for cooler weather and for winter I've got the Altura Altitude Windproof Gloves. Definitely worth investing in some decent gloves, it'll improve the comfort for your hands no end.

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Thanks for the reply and suggestons Martok. I have just ordered some gloves and a better saddle and will looking into getting some Undies when I go into town this week (several cycling shops around here) :smile:

Tynan

Veteran
nothing under shorts surely!

mitts at least a must if only for a spill, I came off once and landed palms down, it might have been the most painful and irksome injjury I've ever had

sore arse is sometimes an indication that saddle position is;t quite right, but riding that far in unpadded shorts is rather brave if it's a longer distance than you;re used to

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Tynan said:
nothing under shorts surely!

mitts at least a must if only for a spill, I came off once and landed palms down, it might have been the most painful and irksome injjury I've ever had

sore arse is sometimes an indication that saddle position is;t quite right, but riding that far in unpadded shorts is rather brave if it's a longer distance than you;re used to

Ive been meaning to get some gloves for a while, and same with the padding :/ - im not particularly padded myself lol

Its my own silly fault for going that distance not properly prepared... was a fun day though :ohmy:

Top Bottom