Age 63, wanting to go faster and higher ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry I ommitted the fact that I have a lung condition and that some of my lung tissue is very stiff, hense yoga style exercise makes a huge difference to me in opening up my chest and usable lung capicity.

In that case, it may help. I believe there are quite a few studies which show things like Powerbreathes work well for that.

AndyPeace

In that case, it may help. I believe there are quite a few studies which show things like Powerbreathes work well for that.

This does look like it could be something of use to me. Having a load applied to those breathing muscles makes sense in building them up. The mantra's are simple phrases which help because they take me to familiar breathing patterns which better use all of my lungs capcity and prevents me shallow breathing. psycologically they distract me from discomfort. Don't misunderstand my comment, I don't need oxygen tanks or ought though my long term prognosis will not improve I am sure I can raise my fitness to keep up . I ain't 'over the hill' yet and wouldn't want to be!
P.s. are you sure Jedi Training won't help... that was my next port of call

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Just a couple of points - you cannot physically increase your lung capacity

Your talking out of your bottom, sorry, freedivers train with them to increase lung capacity, for my size and weight I have massive lungs so big they will not fit on an X-ray they have to do two top and then bottom.
Even though I have large lungs it does not help me as I have emphysema, but on a lung function test I can take it off the scale, that why in first post I said “go and see a doctor first”

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
Just to round out my abilities - or lack thereof. In my running club I was the fastest runner in my age group (50+) so my failure to get in the same envelope in cycling (again with the 50+) is troubling. I can match them on distance but I should be able to ride faster and climb better.

I have stopped running this year. There is not enough time and I needed to keep my legs fresh for long rides. As I go further I am riding with stronger (and older) riders so the speed and hill climbing issues make teamwork more difficult.

Thanks for the tips on interval training. I shall have to think how I could incorporate that into my current riding. I do not have the time to develop those skills separately.

Your talking out of your bottom, sorry, freedivers train with them to increase lung capacity, for my size and weight I have massive lungs so big they will not fit on an X-ray they have to do two top and then bottom.
Even though I have large lungs it does not help me as I have emphysema, but on a lung function test I can take it off the scale, that why in first post I said “go and see a doctor first”

You get the lungs you are born with - you cannot physically make then any bigger, unless you put yourself down for a heart/lung transplant - and even then you may end up with a smaller pair than before.

Ergo - you cannot increase your lung capacity. However, like most other muscles and internal organs, you can train them to perform more efficiently. Perhaps this is what you meant.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
You get the lungs you are born with - you cannot physically make then any bigger, unless you put yourself down for a heart/lung transplant - and even then you may end up with a smaller pair than before.

Ergo - you cannot increase your lung capacity. However, like most other muscles and internal organs, you can train them to perform more efficiently. Perhaps this is what you meant.
Opps I stand corrected :blush:

An average human lung has the capability of holding about 5 liters of air. This lung capacity affects your body's ability to gather, transport and deliver oxygen to the working muscles during physical activity. Your individual lung capacity is a determining factor to your overall running ability. While the physical size of your lungs can't be changed, you can improve your lung's ability to maximize that capacity. Through proper conditioning, you can improve lung capacity to help you run longer and faster.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/471512-how-to-improve-lung-capacity-for-running/#ixzz26puUc08R

AndyPeace

I was reading in the article numbnuts quoted above that cross-training helps build (how much of your)lung capacity (you can use). Just a bit curious as to how this works.

AndyPeace

Just a couple of points - you cannot physically increase your lung capacity and breathing is a function of your autonomic nervous system - controlling it is not necessary, as it will automatically adjust itself to the effort you are making. You can practice yoga, religion, witchcraft, jedi mind tricks, or chanting mantras - but the only thing which will make a real improvement in performance is an improvement in your aerobic fitness.

to be fair I did say 'useable lung capacity', the phrase 'expanding your lung capacity' is used in sport fitness literature. Focusing on breathing has made my rides alot easier, so it works for me. I find if I focus on my breathing everything else falls into place. When you say I need to make an improvement in my aerobic fitness , and forgive the stupidity of this question, do you mean I just need to cycle more?

When you say I need to make an improvement in my aerobic fitness , and forgive the stupidity of this question, do you mean I just need to cycle more?

Depends on the level you are starting from - but simply 'cycling more' may not necessarily improve your aerobic fitness, if all you do is ride within your comfort zone. Extending the length of some of your rides and/or the intensity of your riding will almost certainly improve it..

Top Bottom