Aghhh to many passwords and pin numbers in my life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Do you find life is getting way to complicated with all the different passwords and pin numbers we have to remember. I bet if you spend a little time thinking about it ,you may surprise yourself how many you have to remember just to get through your day.
My average day requires way to many passwords and pin numbers now to be able to remember them all. First thing in the morning whilst having breakfast I usually read the news on my phone. This has a pin number to unlock it,
Off to work and my car has a pin to start it. When at work I have a pin to enter the premises and then a pin to clock in with a biometric hand scanner. My computer at work then has several passwords which I have to enter each morning and if I occasionally use a fork truck they all each have there own pin numbers .A lot of the security doors also have security pins too. To even view my wage slip a password is needed ,and yet once again there's all the various passwords we use to sign in to different web sites we often use. So far I've managed to remember the multitude of different pins/passwords, but the old grey matter is now near to full capacity lol. Just the other day whilst out cycling ( and those random thoughts run through your head )I got thinking about all the different passwords /pins we have to remember in our every day life. I started to run them over in my head and for the life of me I could not remember my cash card pin. It took me three days to remember it again ! before I could use it. With all these different combinations running through my head is it time I should now carry a list on me ,with all the passwords I need to just get through the day. It would be a worry though if it fell into the wrong hands if I lost it. On the flip side of the coin though, remembering phone numbers is an art long lost in the modern age. Years ago I could remember everybody's phone number but with the advent of the mobile phone I just look people up, using the phones built in memory. Today my new cash card arrived with its all singing and dancing contact less payment feature. I fear if I get to used to using this feature I may forget my pin in an emergency!
I dread to think how the next generation will manage with this life style of multiple passwords and pins. With age its a sad fact, some of us will suffer from a fading memory ,and diseases like Alzheimer's which will make life very difficult for the unfortunate sufferers.
Aghhh I've realised even my bike lock is a combination lock.
The mind boggles lol :-) :-) :-)

My "Forgotten password?" function works well.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got two PINs and numerous passwords. Clues to the passwords are written down in my own Mickey Mouse code in a little notebook. Even the computer security industry has acknowledged that it's completely unrealistic for people to be expected to keep all their security numbers etc in their heads.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes we do have far too many passwords to recall. My personal solution has been to use something which would require extraordinarily detailed knowledge of my personal life and then combine it with a part of what I need to access.

With a bit of thought this is very easy to do especially if one was raised in the pre digital age. Add some “special characters” and a part of the organisation name and away you go.

For example I still remember our house phone number from when I was a child. The house which I was born in no longer exists but I know it’s number and street name. Both are a good starting point. Even my wife wouldn’t know either of these bits of information.

I don’t bother with irritating stuff like phone unlock or voicemail pin codes. There just isn’t anything interesting enough in my life to worry about such items.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Aged 68 i can still remember my mum's co-op divi number.108318.
Numbers from childhood are easily recalled, it's the ones from yesterday that cause the head scratching:biggrin:.

keithmac

Guru
[QUOTE 5256936, member: 43827"]I have no problems with security. I just use "password" and pin 1234 for everything.

Easy to remember so what could go wrong?[/QUOTE]

Don't know how true it is but "password" was reported to be the most common password a few years back..

Top Bottom