AI Generated Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I'm all for technology, I live and breath it, but just lately the explosion in AI generated art has got me in a bad mood.

You can now, using a few simple words and a program like https://midjourney.com/ to type in words such as "cycle, towpath, misty, morning, uk, city, river" and it produces this ....

And if you think this is crap (my first attempt)

ShittyHawk_cycling_towpath_river_thames_misty_cold_morning_sunr_3b2a1ac3-dbe7-4dfd-abf3-ddcbb7...png

Then check out this using the words "Volvo, C70, hot rod"

ShittyHawk_volvo_c70_hot_rod_sportscar_hypercar_turbo_speed_8ce013bc-48f9-4a0e-a7e7-fe9501543a1b.png

Why am I mad about this fantastic technology - One of my offspring is studying Illustration, and AI looks set to kill off the industry!

Hey ho

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm more don't invent things that don't need inviting. This is definitely one of those things. Imagination killer to me.

mustang1

Guru
I put a "like" to @Rooster1 's post for the art but but felt sad for the offspring studying illustration bit. I think there will always be room for hand-crafted drawings although it may be a shrinking market.

But you're in tech (at least I think you are) and many tech jobs will be under threat too. Some years ago I saw the insurance industry was under threat too (iirc, a claims department in Japan was threatened when AI done a better job of paying out customers than the humans did).

Pilots too (well, the flight engineer but that was years ago). Train drivers, parcel deliveries, I'm sure I came across an automated McDonald's drive through being tested in Texas (I never looked into whether that was a prank story so idk for sure).

But ya know, (this is not directed at you, it's a general statement, probably more for myself), when we sit in a traffic jam and complain about the traffic, we are part of the problem. Likewise, we (I'm also in tech) work with computers (I also love it) so maybe we are part of the problem. But if we weren't, then someone else would be.

I'm not sure what the overall answer for this puzzle is. I think humans will always be employed and there will always be something to do. I guess your offspring could use the creativity skills s/he learns from illustration and use that make who-knows-what in future. Don't forget, Steve Jobs learned choreography which was implemented into Apple products.... The best thing about your offspring is that they keep moving forward, it will always lead to something good.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I had an interesting chat with a technology expert who said something that registered in relation to AI art "AI art can't invent, nor devise a new style, it can only ever replicate". I guess that is true for the most part.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm more don't invent things that don't need inviting. This is definitely one of those things. Imagination killer to me.

It's just a new set of tools.

I put a "like" to @Rooster1 's post for the art but but felt sad for the offspring studying illustration bit. I think there will always be room for hand-crafted drawings although it may be a shrinking market.

But you're in tech (at least I think you are) and many tech jobs will be under threat too. Some years ago I saw the insurance industry was under threat too (iirc, a claims department in Japan was threatened when AI done a better job of paying out customers than the humans did).

Pilots too (well, the flight engineer but that was years ago). Train drivers, parcel deliveries, I'm sure I came across an automated McDonald's drive through being tested in Texas (I never looked into whether that was a prank story so idk for sure).

But ya know, (this is not directed at you, it's a general statement, probably more for myself), when we sit in a traffic jam and complain about the traffic, we are part of the problem. Likewise, we (I'm also in tech) work with computers (I also love it) so maybe we are part of the problem. But if we weren't, then someone else would be.

I'm not sure what the overall answer for this puzzle is. I think humans will always be employed and there will always be something to do. I guess your offspring could use the creativity skills s/he learns from illustration and use that make who-knows-what in future. Don't forget, Steve Jobs learned choreography which was implemented into Apple products.... The best thing about your offspring is that they keep moving forward, it will always lead to something good.

I work in Software Testing, we've just been demo'd some automation software we might be buying and though its certainly capable it's not yet at the point of being able to self build and run everything you'd need. But it did seem very powerful and have a more intuitive interface being able to allow a none technical person (e.g. you don't know C#, Python etc!) to be able to use it. I've never been great with progranning language (I failed COBOL and only just passed C++) so am quite excited at using this.

Some other pictures I've done, the first is based on people's Alias's so I won't name them.
image-2.jpg

This one I did twice, used the same word but different results.
index.jpg
image-3.png

AI Generated Art Puts Artists On The Streets
AI-Generated-Art-Puts-Artists-On-The-Streets.png

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm all for technology, I live and breath it, but just lately the explosion in AI generated art has got me in a bad mood.

You can now, using a few simple words and a program like https://midjourney.com/ to type in words such as "cycle, towpath, misty, morning, uk, city, river" and it produces this ....

And if you think this is crap (my first attempt)

View attachment 675758

Then check out this using the words "Volvo, C70, hot rod"

View attachment 675759

Why am I mad about this fantastic technology - One of my offspring is studying Illustration, and AI looks set to kill off the industry!

Hey ho

I'm not speaking with any great knowledge of the Illustration industry; but am I right in thinking that it is very tech-dependant anyway these days?

Or is there still a significant need for the 'real thing' (?) ie created without the involvement of any other technology apart from pen, pencil, brush, paper etc?

I'm not speaking with any great knowledge of the Illustration industry; but am I right in thinking that it is very tech-dependant anyway these days?

Or is there still a significant need for the 'real thing' (?) ie created without the involvement of any other technology apart from pen, pencil, brush, paper etc?

I do see a lot more digital art than traditional but thats just part and parcel of being online, likewise a lot of cafes I visit have 'hand made' art for sale. I think the need for both is still there there are just many more digital artists.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Fortunately a Degree in Illustration does still involve some drawing/sketching and paint, and traditional skills such as book binding. However, (and fortunately for my kid) - I got her into Photoshop at a young age and she is now highly skilled and moving onto animation. She uses a Wacom digital screen connected to a decent PC, and iPAD Pro with Apple Pencil.

Top Bottom