Aiming for 100 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Took up cycling last year and did the London to Brighton (54 miles) :eek:. I then managed to keep at Cycling until the dark nights set in.

I wanted to set a bigger challenge for myself so think a 100 miler is a fair aim. (I need a bit of a commitment to get me out there as I am lazy)

I am in Hampshire and am looking to be match fit by spring. How shall I go about the 100 miles?

There are not many 100 mile charity runs (cant find any in south England early in the year). Shall I just get a map and work out a route? Are Audax rides an option? (they seen to be 100 or 200k and may be too hilly for a first timer and out of my league)
I think I would do better as part of a organised ride but not sure where to go from here. Any ideas???

Zoom

Über Member
Hmm; tricky. There are not many 100 mile (or 150 /160km) Audax events; 200k is a big jump from the L2B and unless you go to East Anglia you will find hills.

I think BHF now run the old C+ century rides (the Norwich one was my first 100 miler but it's in September I think); the Salisbury one is definitely not flat.

The Isle of Wight 100km Randonee is quite a serious challenge; harder longer and much nicer than the L2B IMO
www.cycleisland.co.uk

Will1985

Über Member
Norwich 100 is in June - I did it with the chap who made this map: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/norwich/456716369 (check the altitude box and see the profile - there are only 2 "climbs" which get people out of the saddle and puffing, but overall there is only a total of 1.2km ascent!!!)

Sadly he still occasionally lurks on the dark side and isn't registered here..........yet!

Interestingly, I was talking to someone yesterday who said Mike Burrows once did it in under 4h30m on a recumbent - I remember he overtook me in 2007 doing about 40mph on the flat.

Tynan

Veteran
that something dynamo one is a tad over a 100 init?

granted the wrong time of year

Zoom

Über Member
Tynan said:
that something dynamo one is a tad over a 100 init?

granted the wrong time of year

it's a great ride but err at night; 118 miles IIRC; very easy if the weather's OK and you're used to night riding.

The Norwich in June sounds the best bet; lots of riders and a real sense of achievement in your first 100 which you won't get with an Audax or a DIY.

snorri

Legendary Member
For my first 100 miler I had a good incentive, I had been on tour and was 100 miles from home. I just decided to "go for it", my only plan was to stop for a rest, even if I did not feel tired, every 10 miles. After the first couple of stops I started to stretch my 10 mile rule and was quite surprised to still feel good when I reached home.:evil:

domtyler

Über Member
Take a look into Sportives and Audax rides, there should be plenty in your region.

Sportives are timed, i.e. you get a timing chip and there is a competitive element and feel to them, they can be really good fun if they are well organised and attended. I prefer them to Road Racing myself at my time of life (35).

Audaxes are more relaxed, you probably need a beard to ride in one, and will be stopping for beans on toast every ten miles. Also can be great fun depending on who you are riding with and the route. Probably best to join a club that will have these events on their calendar and give you options of riding partners when the day comes.

Zoom

Über Member
domtyler said:
Audaxes are more relaxed, you probably need a beard to ride in one, and will be stopping for beans on toast every ten miles. Also can be great fun depending on who you are riding with and the route. Probably best to join a club that will have these events on their calendar and give you options of riding partners when the day comes.

slight bit of pigeonholing there :smile: don't see any beard here (my event in October)
MAA_4709.html

I agree Audaxes are great for building up distance; just that there are not many between 100 and 200km as those are set distances (and less than 200 is not worth any points, Audax being non-competitive of course :biggrin:)

There are not many Audaxing clubs but if you check the results page on www.audax.uk.net it will give you and idea of which events attract club entries.

also if you check the 2008 calendar by selecting Populaires at the top it should show the 160 km events; the Victor Ludorum looks up your street (except it's cancelled)

Bike Events are running 4 100's this year they can be found here (assuming this works) http://www.bike-events.com/?gclid=CN771PrO5pACFQLilAodxy-ZrA.

The Norwich and Wessex both, of which I've done previously; as said previously the Wessex's not flat but, worth the challenge and the one I've completed the fastest. The Norwich run seems to make up for the lack of hills by having a head wind most of the way round. The Norwich is in June and the Wessex in September

They are also running a 100 in Dorset and at Manchester, in May and September respectively. I've not done either of these so can't make any comments perhaps others can let you know what these are like.

P.H

Über Member
Do a 100k Audax that requires riding 15-20 miles to the start, shouldn't be too hard to organise in the South East. This would also have the advantage of breaking the ride into three distinctive parts. Warm up ride there, cup of tea and a rest - then the Audax with it's usual features, followed by a decent feed and rest - then the ride home or back to the station/car, you'll be on a high from your first Audax and this part will be easy even if you're knackered.

Zoom

Über Member
P.H said:
Do a 100k Audax that requires riding 15-20 miles to the start, shouldn't be too hard to organise in the South East.
good idea but avoid any 100ks that have AAA points as any of them will be quite enough without an (probably also hilly) ride either side of it.

Or just go the whole way and do the Stevenage Start of Summertime 210km on 30th March; probably easier than any 160 you are likely to do in the SE; it's a great ride; and you can turn round at 80km if you don't think you'll make the whole distance (just make sure you know the way back as they are usually circular not out and back). Or else enter the 110km version and extend it a bit.

Thanks for all your responses guys it has been very helpful. I think I may go for the Norwich 100 as it looks to be the best route for a first time and then I still have time to go onto a hilly one later or to get into Audax. I think it may be a bit tough (as I am 47 and new into cycling last year I dont want to over do it and get put off) so the buzz of the event may be of help to get me through.

I did the L2B on a mountan bike so it should be better on my road bike.

Top Bottom