Air horn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always believe that if you have time to hit a horn... then you have time to react in safety. Bells are a far more polite way of letting others know you are around without causing them to jump out of their skin,.

I actually have neither, but I do possess a very loud "shout", which I get out of the bag at least once in every commute.

Reacting in safety can sometimes be a quick beep on a horn to get a car to stop from pulling out while also planning to divert or hit the brakes

Bells on a bike - OMG ! :tongue:

You need a pair of lungs like roadies have, then you can shout "Oi"
I prescribe more hard training for you ! :tongue:

Radio on, windows up and I could still be heard :biggrin:

I think the person who said bells are better than horns, on cycle paths, shared use or away from the road, yes a bell is less likely to make someone jump out of their skin

with a lot of road noise about, a quick toot on a horn cuts through the noise well and isn't that offensive against pedestrian or driver - holding it down for a long period of time however can be confontational.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I like my airzound, it has made my presence known in at least one situation in the week that I have owned it. I have set it up on the left side of my bars so I can brake on the front with my right hand and beep if needed with the left. I only paid a tenner for it 2nd hand so if I don't find it much use it isn't a huge loss (I acted on the same thoughts when buying a cheap helmet cam)

I agree it is inappropriate for use on paths but could be useful if peds don't look when stepping into the road. I still keep the shop-fitted bell on the bars for use of peds when required.