Air horn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I were to buy and mount an air horn, would I be legally allowed to use it?

After all they are no louder than car horns and a bell just isn't cutting it.

The uses would be so good, alerting people to my presence, altering people of my rage.

It could have come in quite handy this morning when I encountered "Mr. Beep beep get out the way, suddenly change lane without looking and then blame the passing traffic who happens to be a cyclist"

It would have been quite useful yesterday when Mrs "I will not pay attention when crossing the busy main road" decided to stand in the cycle lane talking on her phone whilst waiting to cross.

It would have been particularly useful on Monday morning to alert "Mrs I will change lane into you force you to turn left by crashing into you...now deny all knowledge of the incident" to my presence.

It would have been really, REALLY useful last Friday to return the favour to Mr (ACE Automated Garage Doors Van Man) "I will sit up your arse, drive into your rear wheel and beep the horn without pause whilst calling you all the names under sun until you move out my way in this non moving que of traffic so I can sit where you are for then next fifteen minutes occasionally getting out to hurl some more insults how this traffic jam is all the fault of a cyclist" .... the traffic jam was a car accident, a car had crashed into a traffic light taking out a major junction which caused a jam backing up for miles.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If I were to buy and mount an air horn, would I be legally allowed to use it?

After all they are no louder than car horns and a bell just isn't cutting it.

The uses would be so good, alerting people to my presence, altering people of my rage.

It could have come in quite handy this morning when I encountered "Mr. Beep beep get out the way, suddenly change lane without looking and then blame the passing traffic who happens to be a cyclist"

It would have been quite useful yesterday when Mrs "I will not pay attention when crossing the busy main road" decided to stand in the cycle lane talking on her phone whilst waiting to cross.

It would have been particularly useful on Monday morning to alert "Mrs I will change lane into you force you to turn left by crashing into you...now deny all knowledge of the incident" to my presence.

It would have been really, REALLY useful last Friday to return the favour to Mr (ACE Automated Garage Doors Van Man) "I will sit up your arse, drive into your rear wheel and beep the horn without pause whilst calling you all the names under sun until you move out my way in this non moving que of traffic so I can sit where you are for then next fifteen minutes occasionally getting out to hurl some more insults how this traffic jam is all the fault of a cyclist" .... the traffic jam was a car accident, a car had crashed into a traffic light taking out a major junction which caused a jam backing up for miles.

http://www.airzound.co.uk/

not a fan myself but here you go

gentlegreen

There don't appear to be many laws of that kind.

Since I have 12 volt lighting, I used to have a Fiamm electric horn which was loud enough that when it jammed on one day when filtering past traffic, the adjacent driver got out of his car, ignored me as I was struggling to tear the wire off and looked like he was about to duff up the driver behind !

It's all about Air Zounds these days - very loud, but more bicycle-like. I haven't fitted mine yet because the hose is too short to put the reservoir behind my seatpost.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
They're meant to be blummin' loud. Look a little odd though.

I always believe that if you have time to hit a horn... then you have time to react in safety. Bells are a far more polite way of letting others know you are around without causing them to jump out of their skin,.

I actually have neither, but I do possess a very loud "shout", which I get out of the bag at least once in every commute.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bells are no use for car drivers who are enclosed in their vehicle and would pay no attention anyway even if they could hear a bell. Horns can be configured so that you can beep and brake in the same moment, and give yourself a much better chance of avoiding whatever it is you're beeping.

That said, I'm totally with you on horns being inappropriate for normal use on pedestrians. Certainly not for one standing in the cycle lane on the phone anyway.

BenM

Veteran
I have :-
  • a tingy bell... works sometimes,
  • a silly horn - powered by a rubber squeeze bulb has worked every time I use it (sounds like a strangled duck)
  • and am thinking of getting a Crane Brass bell having seen them mentioned on here.
Why so many? I like things that make a noise :biggrin: Hardly ever use them though.

An Airzound is another option however I don't think I need one - but I think if you really want to get heard by the 4 wheeled pilots then you need one... I just try to keep out of their way (or shout at them which works and has the added advantage of attracting the attention of other people where an Airzoiund can sound a bit like another 4 wheeled vehicle) ;)

B.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bells on a bike - OMG ! :tongue:

You need a pair of lungs like roadies have, then you can shout "Oi"
I prescribe more hard training for you ! :tongue:

Or "Whoa":

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjLx788_TJo

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They're meant to be blummin' loud. Look a little odd though.

Meant?
ohmy.gif

BenM

Veteran
You need a pair of lungs like roadies have, then you can shout "Oi"
in another life I did actually cause a car to stop just by shouting at it... the clothes I was wearing once I had attracted the driver's attention might have had something to do with it though!