Air pollution & city cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

I’m currently designing a new product that reduces cyclists exposure to air pollution particulates without compromising users vanity, comfort or safety on the road. I have a short questionnaire that runs through a few questions regarding users cycling habits and air pollution awareness to assist with the products early development. If you could spare a few moments to complete it that would be awesome and very much appreciated. It would be great to get some user feedback from you all!

Please see the link below to complete the questionnaire.

https://forms.gle/VrhuexCjuwfa6S9A9

Thank you!

Louis

Drago

Legendary Member
Yarp.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd say this one needs rethinking.
"According to researchers, cyclists typically have a higher ventilation rate compared to other road users which often means they inhale a similar amount of air pollution to motorised transport users. Have you ever been concerned by your intake of air pollution during your cycle commute? *"

We all have to breathe, but motor vehicle passengers are sedentiary whilst in the vehicle. With most vehicle air intakes being low mounted and front facing.

tom73

Guru
I'd say this one needs rethinking.
"According to researchers, cyclists typically have a higher ventilation rate compared to other road users which often means they inhale a similar amount of air pollution to motorised transport users. Have you ever been concerned by your intake of air pollution during your cycle commute? *"

We all have to breathe, but motor vehicle passengers are sedentiary whilst in the vehicle. With most vehicle air intakes being low mounted and front facing.

Sheffield uni not long ago did a experiment. Testing this very point they monitored a number of family’s travel to school for a mouth. All from same school, same area some walked , some car , some cycled. Guess what the cycle family had lowest readings then walking and highest was car user.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sheffield uni not long ago did a experiment. Testing this very point they monitored a number of family’s travel to school for a mouth. All from same school, same area some walked , some car , some cycled. Guess what the cycle family had lowest readings then walking and highest was car user.
We can often travel the same route in, less time, than those in cars. Cutting down our time in the same area(s) on the same route.

classic33

Leg End Member
I would ask "what researchers?", and then I would ask "why is this one narrow, relatively unpopular view being selectively presented?"
Asked in the past, and the answer given was motor vehicles have air filters built in, whilst we are exposed to "raw air".

Drago

Legendary Member
Asked in the past, and the answer given was motor vehicles have air filters built in, whilst we are exposed to "raw air".
I think they'' find that even the finest climate control filters don't come remotely close to removing PM2.5.

Top Bottom