Airfryers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
We're on our second one now and they just keep surprising us with their versatility...and yet it should be no surprise, they are effectively a small oven.
Chips, hash browns battered or breaded products like fish, chicken etc are no surprise, sausages cook fabulously as a lot of the fat escapes but late findings include baked potatoes,they turn out really nice, mini pizza cooks in minutes. Roast potatoes are do-able etc etc

Any secret or surprise experiences out there ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sausages are ace in there, must say. Not tried baked spuds though - I assume quick ? Home made chips are do-able. You've got to cover them with olive oil, then stop part way, then recoat and shuffle, then go again. Done properly takes about 25 minutes from raw. Even better with their 'skin' on. We re-tip the oil on them...

We're on our second one now and they just keep surprising us with their versatility...and yet it should be no surprise, they are effectively a small oven.
Chips, hash browns battered or breaded products like fish, chicken etc are no surprise, sausages cook fabulously as a lot of the fat escapes but late findings include baked potatoes,they turn out really nice, mini pizza cooks in minutes. Roast potatoes are do-able etc etc

Any secret or surprise experiences out there ?
I heard the other day about somebody who cooks jacket potatoes in a slow cooker:eek:

Never heard of that before

Reactions: gbb

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I haven't used my main oven since I got my halogen oven 5 years ago. I'm also on my second one but they don't cost very much.

Just done a pizza in mine. (I'd been out and got home late, so it had to be something quick)

I haven't used my main oven since I got my halogen oven 5 years ago. I'm also on my second one but they don't cost very much.

Just done a pizza in mine. (I'd been out and got home late, so it had to be something quick)
They are very good, I don`t use mine as much as I should, the only thing I found it didn`t do very well was roast veg - it was a disaster, everything else great though :-) I too can`t remember when I last used my main oven, it`s pristine condition is proof of that haha!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I heard the other day about somebody who cooks jacket potatoes in a slow cooker:eek:

Never heard of that before
Normally I'd stick a fork or knife in any potato of size, gets the heat to the inside quicker. Not sure why anyone would use a slow cooker, unless it's just convenient time wise.

Kempstonian

We bought one about 7 years ago. Found it to be terrible and a faff to clean, so it is in the loft with the waffle iron and smoothie maker.
There is the function where you just put water & washing up liquid in and set it on 'thaw/wash' for 10 minutes or so, but mine usually goes in the dishwasher (except for the top part obviously). The glass bowl and the metal racks are easily cleaned that way.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Regarding the cleaning, theres no doubt t so e can be a faff, our Russell Hobbs (I think it was) had a wire basket that was awkward and the tin container soon got burned in crud but the Ninja we now have is supremely easy to clean.

Kempstonian

We might be talking about different things here. I thought air fryers were like this:

1570955600792.png

That's what I've got.

Smudge

Veteran
I dont like chips done in these airfryers. There's only one way to properly cook chips and that's to deep fry them, preferably double fried if you can be bothered with that.
Airfryers may be convenient and healthier, but it comes at the cost of taste, texture and even makes chips look less appetising.

Kempstonian

I dont like chips done in these airfryers. There's only one way to properly cook chips and that's to deep fry them, preferably double fried if you can be bothered with that.
Airfryers may be convenient and healthier, but it comes at the cost of taste, texture and even makes chips look less appetising.
Yes they aren't as good but oven chips are the same in them as in a normal oven. 'Traditional' chips I would cook on the hob of my main oven (not that I have them very often). Actually I'm more likely to pick some up from the local chippy! ^_^

Smudge

Veteran
Yes they aren't as good but oven chips are the same in them as in a normal oven. 'Traditional' chips I would cook on the hob of my main oven (not that I have them very often). Actually I'm more likely to pick some up from the local chippy! ^_^

Must admit, i'm not a fan of oven chips anyway. But the ones i do keep in the freezer as a back up, i also prefer to deep fry them as well.
The health aspect doesn't bother me, as i dont have chips very often.

Top Bottom