1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airic Mats

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Maggot, 24 Jul 2007.

1. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Following a suggestion by Brock in another thread, I ordered one of these http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16213&category_id=253

It was late saturday night, and I was half cut, anyway. It arrived today, and it is flippin great:biggrin: I have used a similar Thermarest, and the quality, weight etc all seem just as good. I even had a lie down in my sleeping bag on it, all seems fine. So great product, great price and brilliant service:smile: I do need a new down jacket now, oh and some waterproof stuffsacks, and a bivi-bag would save me taking a tent...........................

2. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Drunken web shopping!? Dangerous game that mate :biggrin:
    As is taking any of my dubious advice, glad you're happy with the outcome of this foolhardy escapade.
    I bought regular sized Airics for me and the woman, very happy with them indeed. They make crawling into the tent last thing at night a real pleasure. :biggrin:

3. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

see now I'm getting tempted...hmm....what to do....but they are heavy in comparision to my blacks mat....I'd need to loose something from my bags to be able to carry it....so you chaps really think it's worth the extra weight?

4. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Well the one I got is 460gms. I should imagine your Blacks one is 150gms. So if you leave behind your spare cleats, spare light batteries (it's going to be summer), one boil in the bag rice and 3 chain repair links, if it breaks just make it one link shorter, it won't be a problem, there is your remaining 300 grams:smile:

They are immeasureably more comfy and warmer than expanded foam!!

5. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I have a similar one in the garage. It is full length though and I cannot see a manufacturer name on it. It has a central foam innner and the mat can be inflated. It rolls up ok once all the air is squeezed out which takes ages. It weighs MUCH more that my mat...I have slept on it once and to be honest the difference wasnt that great...but I was inside . It's also to bulky for the bike....now this isnt designed for cyclists I guess so it's more than likely aimed at the motoring camper....but I'm not convinced yet...if I loose a cleat I will be stuffed as I cannot ride....spare batteries yep they can go....oh I dunno...I've bought the bloody mat now so I am thinking I should at least try it and suffer before spending more....and I can always double fold my full length mat on rough ground....and I like the orange colour...and...and...and...desicions were never my best strength lol!

6. psmiffy

psmiffy -

How do you lose a cleat - the onlyy time mine came a little bit loose I noticed it very quickly and applied some doing up (sorry I digressed)