Airline has lost my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On Friday, I returned from USA after a cycling tour. I flew with Aer Lingus. This was my third tour in USA and I am very familiar with the issues. On both previous occasions, the bike bag was delayed, it was delivered home later on the day. I found a note in the bag to say that USA security services has taken the bag, they have opened it and go through everything and returned it. I gathered this is not an uncommon incident.
I have completed the form at the airport. That is what I did on last two occasions. But on this occasion it is different. Both USA and UK airports are having a serious issues with baggage. Baggage collection area is full of left luggage etc. Now 48 hours later, there is no information about the bike bag.
I will follow the process of completing another form on the airline website. But quick Google search tells me that situation is so bad that I am unlikely find my bike. Airlines are notorious for not providing compensation. Even if they do it is a maximum of £1000 and one rarely receives that much. Even Citizen Advice service says that I will be better off claiming it from travel insurance.
I am posting it here as it is a cautionary tale for those of us who travel with our bikes. I always do. I can not imagine the consequences if it happens on the way to USA to start the tour.
Have you ever had this experience?
Any advice?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only travelled once with my bike, and the airline lost it on the way out. We had to wait hours for the bikes to come out, by then had missed the coach transfer. Managed to get another but the driver really didn't want to take bagged bikes (damage to suitcases he thought). Then despite having booked the bikes, the rep then tells us the driver on the return trip might not take them so be prepared to get a taxi. Meant we had to save our local currency (before the days of cash cards etc).

Hopefully it will turn up

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's flying back from Belgium on Thursday with a bike. I've deliberately chosen two smaller airports (Brussels Charleroi & Liverpool) which hopefully will make things easier. And we'll cover it with insurance as well.

CXRAndy

Guru
Never had a problem, been about 12 times abroad. It's been nearly 4 years since I went abroad maybe things have changed

If you or a pal has an iphone - get an airtag for next time - £20. Might help.
I think luggage is a problem since they got rid of staff.
Good luck getting it back.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
There are numerous stories of bikes and other baggage being well and truly delayed for weeks on end. One story I read was a 15k bike and sundries going missing and the owner did not have insurance, airline is offering £500, it was lost on the way out so he did not even have it for his event. I think it is now totally crucial to make sure you have comprehensive insurance.

@midliferider Good luck in getting it back.

gbb

Legendary Member
'Lost ' my luggage at Heathrow on a trip to SAmerica once, it was well and truly lost at the time (no trace of it on their systems) but it did turn up at my hotel the day before I set off home.
Obviously with the large scale problems at airports atm, the result might be different, but lost items do get found and returned as a matter of course.

Sixmile

Veteran
There are numerous stories of bikes and other baggage being well and truly delayed for weeks on end. One story I read was a 15k bike and sundries going missing and the owner did not have insurance, airline is offering £500, it was lost on the way out so he did not even have it for his event. I think it is now totally crucial to make sure you have comprehensive insurance.

@midliferider Good luck in getting it back.

Not good but why would you have a £15k bike and not insure it?! Must have more money than sense. Then again, getting comprehensive cover for a £15k bicycle would be steep enough I'd imagine.

OP
OP
midliferider
Update: Sorry I am late to update. I went riding in Europe and did not log in.
About a week after I returned, Birmingham airport delivered the bike to my home. Bag was totally ripped and beyond use. But its a cheap bag from e bay and its ok. Bike was not daamged.
Most importantly, there was a note inside from US customs security that bag was retained and searched. It has happened to me on previous occasions as well.

Top Bottom