Airnimal Joey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartDavis

Veteran
I bought this bike in 2008 and used it for commuting on the trains (both Virgin trains and local trains accepted it OK) until retirement in 2016, so it's seen some life. It's still good though, except the rack, which was used for standing it on when folded, so that's a big ragged, and the mudguards, which are also quite beaten up.
It was originally a Shimano Nexus, but I changed it to derailleur which improved it.
The external quick release levers didn't work very well so two of them have been replaced by Allen screws where necessary which means carrying an Allen key (still have the original levers).
It has a commuter kit, of which the handlebar clip has been fitted, and MKS quick release pedals (which I never needed to detach). It has a spare tyre also.
It's now sitting unused in my spare room so I'd like to pass it on to someone who will use it.
It can be collected from Rugby, or if you live not too far away I may be able to deliver.
I want to sell it for a price that is fair for both parties but don't really know what to ask.
The original paperwork is present and shows the original price of £750 in 2008.
If I could get close to £200 for it I think I would be happy.
IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG IMG_0215.JPG

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Elybazza61 was looking for one of these back in August. He hasn't been on for a few days but I've sent him the link.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@MartDavis couple of questions for you , what size wheels is this 24" ?
And what is the maximum height the bars and saddle will go to please ?
Presumably the guards are not unique to Airnimal ?

OP
OP
M

MartDavis

Veteran
The wheels are 507, currently filtted with 1.5" Schwalbe marathon plus tyres. I believe they will also take 520 size of 24" wheels, but I don't have any of them.
I'm not sure how to measure the height that the bars and saddle will go, but I'm 6'3" and it's fine for me, and the saddle may go higher still. Sorry if that doesn't answer you're question! I can provide specific measurements if you let me know what to measure.
No, the mudguards are not Airnimal, just generic ones that I adapted. The front one releases at the dropouts and is hinged at the bridge to stop in protruding when folded, and has been cut down at the front so that it doesn't foul the underside of the frame when folded, if that all makes sense! It's a bit Heath-Robinson but it's sort of OK!

SteveParry

Guru
It says on Airnimal's site that 'accessories may affect the fold'... And I know what carrying a folder is like as I used to have a Birdy. Can this be wheeled along when the commuter kit is in place?

OP
OP
M

MartDavis

Veteran
Yes, sort of!
Not all of the commuter kit is fitted, but there is a bracket (which I forgot to mention) that is fitted near the rear wheel - the front wheel attaches to it and enables it to be wheeled along. However it's a bit loose and wobbly so I've always pushed the bike to the platform and folded it there, then carried the front wheel and frame onto the train. The fold takes 30 - 40 seconds after a bit of practice. The unused parts of the commuter kit are shown in one of the photos. They enable it to be stood on the ground - I used the rack for that instead.
I think the thing that affects the fold the most is the front mudguard, which is why it's cut down.

Last edited:

SteveParry

Guru
I'm interested in this bike but live on the Wirral. I was thinking of driving over (a long way!) but with current lockdown I guess that's not feasible. I hope lockdown may be eased next month then perhaps I could see it.

Jblow89

Hi there, just checking in on the offchance this airnimal is still in your possession almost a year later?

Top Bottom