Aksium & Marathons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good match?
Easily removable, if the 'P-F' strikes?

I know there are threads on tyres, but I can't recall seeing one of compatability factors

I presently run Schwalbe Durano '28' on my CGR, on the above rims
However, I was contemplating buying a pair of Marathons, in either '28' (if I can find them), or '32', to use over the Winter, then the Durano can return in the Spring

Thanks

Plus, given the supposed life/mileage expectancy of the Marathons, I could re-use them for the next couple of winters?

Sharky

Guru
Not sure. I had M+ 28mm with askiums and then tried M+ 25mm. As expected they were a challenge to get on, but they do become a bit easier when refitting after use. With the 25's, I used for a couple of winters, but found that the sidewalls started to go and the tyres developed a bulge.

I wouldn't get them again myself, but they do have a vast following.

Have used continental city contacts 28mm and these seem a bit easier to get on and have similar tread patterns etc.

Probably not a good idea as they are probably pretty narrow depending on age,would think 32 would be pretty tight and will bulge out.

Have you had lots of punctures with the Duranos? If not I'd stick with them as the Marathons will feel sluggish; another option might be Durano pluses,used them over a couple of winters with no punctures :ohmy: They are reasonably grippy too.

Also does the frame have clearance for 35's?

Last edited:
Have used continental city contacts 28mm and these seem a bit easier to get on and have similar tread patterns etc.
Called at Halfords, they didn't have any in stock at the Wakefield branch, so I may try Pontefract next week
They had their own brand (similar) tread pattern in, but, the '28' looked very skinny (more like a '23'), & the '35' looked far too tall, with very deep sidewalls
Which was a pity, as they were only £10!

Probably not a good idea as they are probably pretty narrow depending on age,would think 32 would be pretty tight and will bulge out.

Have you had lots of punctures with the Duranos? If not I'd stick with them as the Marathons will feel sluggish; another option might be Durano pluses,used them over a couple of winters with no punctures :ohmy: They are reasonably grippy too.
One puncture in 8 months, due to a (rather small) thorn that worked between the guard plys
I was thinking more because it does do some bridleway/towpath work
Whilst I like to think that my bike-handling is fairly good, due to a few years previously spent racing Cyclo-Cross, Duranos aren't that good in a couple of inches of mud, on a camber.........

Also does the frame have clearance for 35's?
Most definitely!:okay:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr/

Last edited:
Called at Halfords, they didn't have any in stock at the Wakefield branch, so I may try Pontefract next week
They had their own brand (similar) tread pattern in, but, the '28' looked very skinny (more like a '23'), & the '35' looked far too tall, with very deep sidewalls
Which was a pity, as they were only £10!

One puncture in 8 months, due to a (rather small) thorn work between the guard plys
I was thinking more because it does do some bridleway/towpath work
Whilst I like to think that my bike-handling is fairly good, due to a few years previously spent racing Cyclo-Cross, Duranos aren't that good in a couple of inches of mud, on a camber.........

Most definitely!:okay:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr/

Wouldn't think Marathons would be much better in mud tbh,should be no issues on bridleways and towpaths though.

The sort of track that it does get used on

Very dry when this was taken (this summer)
Road-Trip. 6.jpg

'Old London Road'
Road-Trip. 23.JPG

Trans-Pennine Trail
(between Methley & Woodlesford)
Road-Trip. 26.JPG

'Fall Ing Island'
River Calder to my left, Canal 'cut' to the right
(to avoid the weir at 'Chantry Bridge', which is behind me)
Road-Trip. 27.JPG

Top Bottom