Alarming words

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Aaargh - how horrible, and even more so with the bloody virus situation! I hope that her treatment is successful.
it was over 35 years ago , one of the 1st to have chemo and radiptherapy in this country apparantly but it was touch and go from what i have been told and she does have long term affects as they nuked her head so her hormones are farked and it shrunk some blood vessels in her brain which has caused a couple of strokes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
it was over 35 years ago , one of the 1st to have chemo and radiptherapy in this country apparantly but it was touch and go from what i have been told and she does have long term affects as they nuked her head so her hormones are farked and it shrunk some blood vessels in her brain which has caused a couple of strokes.
It sounds horrid, but she also sounds lucky to have had the treatment and got through it.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Hepatitis 30-odd years ago. He was getting pretty ill and was offered a place on one of the first Interferon trials in the country. One round of treatment didn't cure him, but a second one did. He is ill with something else now, but had a long period of good health in between.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In more innocent times it used to be "You will just feel a little prick..." but the nursing training must have changed because they all say 'scratch' now!

Ha ha - I can vouch for that. I have to have regular blood tests to make sure that I am getting the correct dose of warfarin. For the first few years this required a venous sample. (Nowadays, thankfully, they use a machine which only requires a drop of blood from a fingerprick. Er, fingerscratch...?)

Most nurses are very good at it and it doesn't hurt too much but one in particular was bloody awful... (pun intended!). The needle went in and it really did hurt. A LOT! Then it hurt some more. And more still. After a few more stabs, I couldn't take it any more...

CJ: "What are you doing? That hurts a lot!"

Nurse: "Sorry, I can't find the vein..."

Stab, stab, stab, twist and stab, pull out, restab, restab and retwist...

I started to go a bit whoozy...

CJ: "STOP! If you carry on using me as a human pincushion then I will probably end up fain..."

And then I DID! I came round with the now anxious stabber, another nurse, and a hastily summoned GP fussing over me. I got put in a wheelchair and shipped off to a side room to recover.

I was very nervous for the next few blood tests but most of the nurses knew what they were doing and/or were wearing their glasses so they could see what they were doing. But then I got nurse stabber again. Maybe she had just been unlucky to miss the vein last time...?

But no... Stab, stab, stab, twist and stab, pull out, restab, restab and retwist...

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I became like Pavlov's dog on tests after that. A sigh of relief if it were a different nurse, but heart pounding and a dry mouth as soon as nurse stabber appeared!
I know exactly what you mean. Been there done that. Once in the old Glasgow Western the syringe came apart mid sample, blood everywhere. By then I was an old trouper and it was just another experience.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
"Why did you leave your last job?"

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh dear...

(I promise that this is my final reference to clots/needles for today!)

Having confirmed that I definitely was not pregnant and therefore almost certainly was clotting (see above), I was admitted to hospital overnight to have scans first thing next morning. I was exhausted from stress and a very late night but found it difficult to get to sleep in a busy hospital environment, patients being moved around, nurses talking down the corridor, machines whirring and beeping... I was finally just dozing off when an insect landed on my arm. I was too tired to look, and it was dark anyway so I wouldn't have seen it. Probably just a fly or moth... OR A GIANT HORNET!!!! Sudden stabbing pain in my right arm! FFS. I felt the insect crawl about again and went to swat it and found a doctor fumbling about with my arm.

You couldn't make this up...

CJ: What are you doing!!!

Doctor: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. I thought I could take a blood sample while you were asleep.

CJ: Nobody can have needles stuck in their arm and not wake up!

She tried again. More pain. Even if she knew what she was doing she couldn't see what she was doing! In the end she gave up and decided to trust the original test.
This all took place at "The General", what they now call the Royal?

Top Bottom