Albums -who bothers with them?

What's the preferred way you listen to an artist's music -are albums still relevant?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My latest LP arrived in the post this very morning; Anna Meredith's FIBS on limited edition white vinyl. I'm not sure if it's an album I'd always listen to from start to finish, but it has a few stand out tracks, which are what i bought it for.

Some albums i will always listen to from start to finish such as Marvin's Gaye's What's Going On? Jethro Tull's Aqualung. Gorillaz Demon Days, etc... Good bands write good songs, great bands write good albums, although most great bands only manage one or two good albums out of their entire catalogue.

Rock bus

Über Member
Always the full album for me. If it's an artist or band that I've never heard, I select the "top songs" option on my streaming platform, so that gives me an overview of their most popular tracks. If i like them, I'll then listen to their first album and work my way through to their must recent.

Lots of guitar bands I like differ a lot from when they formed to present day, so a best of mix doesn't really follow very well. It would be like watching a TV series on random order.

If I just want some background pop music, I'll stick on the most listened to songs i.e. "trending" in the uk.
I do exactly the same.
Led me to The Replacements, ended up listening to everything and then buying it all on vinyl. They’re now in my top 5 bands ever.
Currently going through same experience with Husker Du.
Musics an expensive obsession for me but i love discovering new music (even if by old bands!)

Anyway, i have a student days story, and some of you need to be sitting down to read this. Ready?

Most of us had taped our vinyl (ok, yes, friends' vinyl too), usually onto C90s - so you could fit a whole 40-45min album onto each side. Now, this one friend didn't take care what order he recorded sides A & B of an album. Yes that's right:
Certain albums he ALWAYS listened to Side B, then Side A; that was how he'd taped them, so that's how they would stay.

And even more shocking, he could not see ANYTHING WRONG WITH THIS.

eurgh, the memory still makes me shudder.
He’d have been ok with a copy of The Who’s Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy which passed through my hands years ago. The labels were on the wrong sides 😃

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have not bought physical music for at least 15 years, pre iPod I used a Treo, remember them? However, I still generally listen to albums, the music I listen to generally tells a story to me through an album.

Top Bottom