Aldi becomes Britain’s fourth-largest supermarket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It was either Aldi or Lidl distribution centre in Daventry (about 14/15 years ago) when they were just into the UK, I used to deliver there. Drivers were expected to unload their own trailers (none of their staff there to help tip! ) into the warehouse were the stock was marshelled ready for onward loading for stores.. Very slick operation.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I vividly remember the 'shame' people exuded of being seen in Aldi

There can be a certain snootiness towards Aldi and Lidl.

About five years ago, in an affluent area near me (Giffnock) the local Whole Foods store had closed down and news broke that it was going to become a Lidl store. The fragile toffs were outraged and expressed their feelings on the community’s Facebook pages with comments like:

“If you want to keep Giffnock’s reputation of prosperity then we need action to stop this. If I wanted cut-price, poor-quality goods I would travel to a poor-quality neighbourhood to find them.”

And: “I understand that they need to shop somewhere, however you didn’t see benefit cheats and single mothers and their feral brood flock to Whole Foods.”

😠

This is interesting and not in the least bit surprising; I do almost all my shopping at Lidl or Aldi with occasional forays to Booths (the north western version of Waitrose, but better) for 'special' things, especially when they do the marking down in the evening.
I remember talking to someone several years ago who was the PA to a top bod in some quasi-governmental institution or quango; she bought the board-room 'refreshments' from Lidl or Aldi and there was never anything but praise, especially for 'working breakfasts' when she nipped into Lidl on the way to work for fresh rolls and croissants, and a pot of the Morello Cherry preserve. Packaged stuff was always carefully decanted into attractive tins or other suitable containers so no-one was actually faced with the challenge of a discount brand label!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm not.
Our local Waitrose recently has loads of unavailable items, their BB dates are very short, stopped doing free coffees and their system of selecting coupons using the app is so fiddly, that my OH is threatening to go else where for our main shop.

Our local Coop is gaining our custom. Open until 10pm, BB dates much longer and their coupon system much easier to use.
You'll be seeing fewer and few BB dates on fresh produce in the near future... they're being scrapped to reduce food waste.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've been shopping in the Warrington Aldi since at least 1993, but use Lidl at the moment, because it's the nearest.

For many years the Aldi checkout staff had to memorise the price of each item in the store, so no electronic barcode scanning was needed at the checkout, but they had a limited range of stock.

PK99

Legendary Member
I am surprised that Waitrose is now only 8th largest supermarket with just 4.7% of the market share.

very regional and located by demographic

Waitrose: 322 stores across uk. Mostly small compared to the others
Sainsbug: 600 supermarkets, 800 convenience stores
Aldi: 967 UK 807 England
Lidl 928 stores UK
Tesco 1966 convenience stores 798 convenience stores

Waitrose share seems pretty stable 2017-22

1663238767243.png

PK99

Legendary Member
Well they lost the Ocado business to M&S. Plus there's a cost-of-living crisis on and one can only use so much 'essential' scented ironing water and artichoke hearts.

You mean this product: The only "ironing" water they sell. Note it is NOT scented. Isn't it amazing how such memes enter the public consciousness....

Pity they changed the name, Deionised is meaningless to most folks, ironing waste is a far better description

1663239459093.png

essential Waitrose de-ionised water unfragranced deionised water for use in steam irons and humidifiers. Prevents the build-up of limescale inside your iron or humidifier. Easy ironing

Aldis Ironing water IS scented

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-anco-so-soft-ironing-water-ocean-breeze-1l/25386950

Aldi's artichoke hearts are ver good apparently:

1663239942074.png

The Morrisons purchase by some US investment group was a leveraged buyout and so a huge amount of debt was added to the business which means Morrisons need a higher margin to make a profit because of increased interest payments. No surprise Morrisons have seemed less competitive on price recently. So this story is more about Morrisons market share reducing than Aldi having to do much I feel.

Obviously its very damaging to the UK economy for Lidls and Aldi to be so successful, they have a greater amount of imported goods and profits go back to Germany. It's a vicious cycle of people getting poorer and the UK economy having more debt and people forced to use the discount supermarkets to make ends meet. I tend to use all supermarkets at different times, this keeps them firing vouchers at me with discounts regularly to get me back. I always find there is stuff I like and dislike about all supermarkets so I always move around a lot. Asda have seemed excellent value recently with their essential range and you only have one trip to get a wider range of goods.

As a country we are definitely going to get a lot poorer until we sort our economy out and return to a trading surplus but we have decades of debt to pay back now. About £3k of interest alone is paid for every working person in this country and we haven't even started to pay back the debt itself. We left the EU with £1.8 trillion of debt and added a fair bit more with the pandemic and now of course the Ukraine war has created more supply issues and greater costs and global warming will mean less food is available which again means higher prices.

I do feel Morrisons now is likely to be the first supermarket casualty perhaps in a few years to go under.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Our local Morrisons (Kendal) used to be packed when we first moved here 25 years ago.

Much quieter these days.

Aldi opposite is always busy and we get around 80% of our groceries there.

Big Sainsbury opened nearby a couple of years ago (80000 sq ft trading area which is pretty large) although that has White Elephant status imo. Even so it must have hit Morrisons.

Back to Morrisons; over-priced on so many items and it can seem like they price in 50p multiples.🙄

The Kendal one is crap on service - often the deli or pizzeria counter is unmanned and you have to hunt around the store to find someone to help, and they frequently can't.

The so called Market Street sections look really jaded by mid-pm and the only time they looked great later in the day was when Mr Extra High Up and entourage were visiting the store. Amazingly the place was also crawling with staff.

PK99

Legendary Member
Our local Morrisons (Kendal) used to be packed when we first moved here 25 years ago.

Much quieter these days.

Aldi opposite is always busy and we get around 80% of our groceries there.

Big Sainsbury opened nearby a couple of years ago (80000 sq ft trading area which is pretty large) although that has White Elephant status imo. Even so it must have hit Morrisons.

Back to Morrisons; over-priced on so many items and it can seem like they price in 50p multiples.🙄

The Kendal one is crap on service - often the deli or pizzeria counter is unmanned and you have to hunt around the store to find someone to help, and they frequently can't.

The so called Market Street sections look really jaded by mid-pm and the only time they looked great later in the day was when Mr Extra High Up and entourage were visiting the store. Amazingly the place was also crawling with staff.

The only supermarket to use in Kendal is:
https://www.booths.co.uk/store/kendal/

Top Bottom