Aldi becomes Britain’s fourth-largest supermarket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does nobody support their local, independent grocer any more?

View attachment 661120

We still support the local businesses where available.

We have a great little bakers not far away and they are able to make Aldi look expensive. We also try and avoid the big chains, when eating out or going for a coffee, as there are a number of really good independents about.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
My experience of shopping in Sainsbury's is that it's more expensive than Tesco.
The Latest Deals mobile app has a supermarket comparison on its tools useful for checking the prices of a specific item, the store you think is the cheapest often turns out to be far from it.

Mike_P

Guru
Fair enough for specific items - and if you've the time to trot from one shop to another. I'm talking about the cost of a full shop. :smile:
Having a food allergy it is a case of visiting them all to get some semblance of variety and as such I often think ouch how much (typically in Morrisons) I use the app for checking things like J2O, yoghurts, frozen peas etc as there is often a huge range in prices.

Having a food allergy it is a case of visiting them all to get some semblance of variety and as such I often think ouch how much (typically in Morrisons) I use the app for checking things like J2O, yoghurts, frozen peas etc as there is often a huge range in prices.

Ah man, that's a completely different kettle of fish... The "free from" stuff is ridiculously spendy, and if you've no choice...

Ouch.

presta

Guru
if, like me, you tend to buy mainly fresh ingredients and supermarket own brand anyway, and you compare the price per kilo of things as a matter of course, then Aldi (and Lidl) are actually much of a muchness with the bigger players.
We don't have an Aldi, but that's what I found with Lidl. When they opened here, I took a list round Tesco, Sainsburys & Lidl and priced everything up, and there was next to nothing cheaper at Lidl. Aldi was given planning permission for a new store here in January 2021, but it hasn't materialised yet.
in an affluent area near me (Giffnock) the local Whole Foods store had closed down and news broke that it was going to become a Lidl store. The fragile toffs were outraged
That reminds me of Frinton, where they succeeded in keeping fish & chip shops out of the town until 1992, and pubs out until 2000, on the grounds that they lower the tone of the neighbourhood.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The problem with AldiLidl is the lack of range. If you go in looking for ingredients with a specific dish in mind, they invariably don't have at least one of the things you need. I really resent the minimal staffing level too, with big queues developing at tills and then a mad rush of queue jumpers when they eventually open another line. Other supermarkets may charge a bit more but they provide a better service in return.

Cold meats are excellent though.

Mike_P

Guru
Ah man, that's a completely different kettle of fish... The "free from" stuff is ridiculously spendy, and if you've no choice...
Thankfully a good number of non free from labelled products are appropriately free from but nevertheless monthly there seems to be a plummeting choice of available products often not helped by empty shelves of what is still alledgly stocked.

vickster

Legendary Member
IME Lidl fruit and veg is awful, Aldi seems a bit better (other than their dreadful grapes, a very frequent purchase of mine) but other than their special deals, no cheaper than Asda I find. The fresh food range at both really is rather limited when you don’t eat meat. The lack of SS tills at Aldi is bizarre and annoying even late when I tend to shop!
Waitrose do the best non meat ready meals but my their prices have gone up!
I tend to go to lots of different supermarkets depending on what I want, which I can do as they’re all within a mile or so pretty much (other than a proper sized Waitrose, a couple of miles)

Mike_P

Guru
Given they give me a free £3 newspaper on a Saturday I buy a bag of seven oranges from Waitrose at their ouch price of £2.10 to last me the week. It will be interesting to see if they do last the week now they have dispensed with use by dates as typically their was up to a 5 day variation in use by dates in the display stock. Really instead ought to be packed date to give some clue to how (relatively) fresh they are.

stephec

Legendary Member
The lack of SS tills at Aldi is bizarre and annoying even late when I tend to shop!
That used to puzzle me as well but they're not really staff free are they? In our local Tesco there's ten SS tills but always at least one member of staff to sort out the inevitable errors, Aldi staffing levels and floor space probably couldn't cope with that.

Mike_P

Guru
Have seen self service tills in a Lidl in Leeds.Just been to Aldi, six of the seven tills open and usual long queues for four of them but the other two had far shorter queues. Potentially could be done by Trading Standards as a number of the middle of isle items had no visible price indication.

Last edited:
Top Bottom