Aldi Christmas puds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
PS. I don't know if you can get it this year - but the Iceland Mince Pie ice cream and Xmas Pud ice cream are to die for

Also their Peanut butter cup ice cream which is cheaper, nicer and bigger than Ben & Jerrys version

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It’s always worth a good look round Aldi. We split our shopping between there and the magnificent Booths. I’m always astonished at how cheap our basket of basics from Aldi is.

Great treats are Aldi plain chocolate with almonds bar at 79p - to die for, and I probably will!!! The Rother chocolate is very, very good for £1.29. The luxury yogurt, 42p worth of heaven in a pot!! The mousse is excellent as well.

I know this reads like an advert for Aldi but they stock lots of great food people miss. Jars of antipasti at 79p as another example. Have a browse while you’re there.

Oh, I know lots of people speak very highly of them, but I don't buy a lot of packaged stuff. They don't do loose fruit and vegetables and I won't buy prepacked. I might take a look at the yoghurt - all the supermarkets same to do similar luxury ones with their own packaging.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If anybody can find one of their red-lidded tins of almonds give them a try. They're chilli-flavoured and highly dilishers. All sold out around the local Aldis and LiDLs.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
single person sizes
Here's a single person one.

349-xmas-pud-house.jpg

:mrpig::mrpig::mrpig::mrpig:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's at this time of year I always remember how much I love Christmas pudding, and mince pies, and the havoc they cause to my digestive system. Think Satan's trombone player. phhhhrrrrrpppppp

PaulSB

Legendary Member
They don't do loose fruit and vegetables and I won't buy prepacked.

Out of interest can I ask why? We are very keen on quality food, cooking but being on limited pension income shop very carefully. My experience is Aldi fruit and veg is good quality and very competitive.

Is it the preservative gases used in some packing processes?

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Out of interest can I ask why? We are very keen on quality food, cooking but being on limited pension income shop very carefully. My experience is Aldi fruit and veg is good quality and very competitive.

Is it the preservative gases used in some packing processes?

No, it's the plastic packaging. I reject packaging where-ever I can. When I can I try to support our local greengrocer too.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks @annedonnelly. I’d certainly agree with supporting the local greengrocer. Sadly in our area I’ve found too often the keeping quality of produce is not as good as from Aldi and other supermarkets. This may be a result of preservative treatments but I’m not convinced of that argument. After a career in horticulture I’m sure it’s more to do with the quality of the grower.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've stopped buying F & V at supermarkets.

Most of it is tasteless and in the case of the fruit, goes rotten before it goes ripe

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Thanks @annedonnelly. I’d certainly agree with supporting the local greengrocer. Sadly in our area I’ve found too often the keeping quality of produce is not as good as from Aldi and other supermarkets. This may be a result of preservative treatments but I’m not convinced of that argument. After a career in horticulture I’m sure it’s more to do with the quality of the grower.

I find the same re the keeping quality. I suspect that the supermarkets have so much buying power that the locals are left with the poorer quality stuff.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I find the same re the keeping quality. I suspect that the supermarkets have so much buying power that the locals are left with the poorer quality stuff.

After 40+ years in horticulture I know that’s true. The other aspect is the supermarkets have the best growers as suppliers and the standards are extremely high. Even the best have wastage and this ends up on the markets and with small retailers.

gaz71

Über Member
The Aldi chocolate orange mince pies are very nice,Im going there to get some more later.Might get the salted caramel mince pies aswell.

Top Bottom