Aldi - Solar powered charger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

Well, looking at the 20 hour charge time, not very.

Chris

APK

Looks like it is an additional battery, with a solar charger, so could be useful just as a power source for using a smartphone as a gps on longer trips?

yello

In my limited experience, I've found solar chargers to be, um... not very useful. They take too long to effectively recharge anything.

yello

Looks like a great way to recharge at a cafe stop etc for a smartphone, I reckon it's worth a punt at that cost.

better make that a large coffee whilst you wait then! ;)

Seriously, it'd probably take best part of a day (in good sunlight conditions) to give a phone sufficient charge to even power on! Unless, of course, the technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years.

endoman

better make that a large coffee whilst you wait then! ;)

Seriously, it'd probably take best part of a day (in good sunlight conditions) to give a phone sufficient charge to even power on! Unless, of course, the technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years.

says it charges the device in one to two hours, but takes 20 hours to recharge itself from sunlight. Charge it up via USB before you set off, then top up the charger as you cycle.

albion

Guru
Maybe think of it as a novel/fun item?

Its got a 3.6V 1200mAh battery so that's about 4 watt hours and should about 50% charge a battery.

I just carry a spare battery if/when needed at one/twentieth of the weight.

I found a 4 X AA USB power pack on the web too in case I ever need 11 hours+ continuous Endomondo use.

jethro10

Über Member
I got the one last year from Aldi, 1500mAh battery though.
It sits on top of the rail for the vertical blinds in the conservatory very close to sunlight and it's here it's at it's most effective, right next to a clear roof. On a kitchen window say, with no direct sun, it's bollocks
Even so, takes several days to charge up, not hours! maybe 3-5 days
BUT you can charge it from USB also - often just needs a little top up as has some charge from Solar.
To take on trips, it's been a life saver, to say's it's a Solar charger, it's pants!

Jeff

yello

Even so, takes several days to charge up, not hours! maybe 3-5 days

That was pretty much my experience. Perhaps in good solid light it's better but I gave up on mine in truth. I can't see it being a viable option for touring say.

Top Bottom