Aldi update.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steampig

Having bought a few bits from aldi yesterday thought id give you a quick update.
The soft cell jacket, jersey, mits and under top are all good. worn yesterday, washed last night and worn again today on a 22 miler. all kept there size after a wash and no colours ran (i bought the white ones) and the mud splashes all came out no problem.
The lightweight water proof ive not used yet but seems ok, has a decent vent at the back and fits nice in the back pocket.
The large tool bag is really good for the pricen even if i didnt come with any tools. used the multi tool a couple of times and it seem half decent. not used the other bits or the puncture stuff.
Couple of points
The padded shorts are compfy, bought two pairs. used the first pair yesterday with no problems. The second pair used today and whilst still comfy after the ride i noticed my nice white saddle is now a horrible bowny orange colour!!! the padding inside my shorts is red and has somehow bled onto the seat.
Ill be honest i didnt check the tags so they may well have said to wash before wearing so i cant complain too much. and the first pair didnt bleed on yesterdays 16 miler.
The hand pump!! right where to start!!! i let the air out of my tire yesterday and tried to pump it back up. I managed to get to about 65/70 psi after 20 minutes!!! :cursing:
I thought a poor pump is probably better than no pump and stuck it on the bike anyway. ill replace this when i can afford it.
At somepoint on todays ride the pump decided to commit suicide and leave the bike :headshake: , so im back to no pump!!!
If your thinking of the pump as a cheap emergency stick it in your pocket and not to the bike, steampigs top tip :thumbsup:
All in all £70 spent on 8 items isnt too bad ( was looking at some bib shorts in my LBS and they started at £55!!) and im happy enough with the majority of stuff. :bravo:

Gez73

Veteran
We're dropping in later on today. Interested in looking at the pannier bags assuming they have some left or had some at all. Thanks for the info. Gez

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I wore the soft shell jacket today on a fifty miler, it was warm,breathable and comfy. Rear pocket zip is a little stiff for getting in and out of on the move, but you can't moan for £14.99

redcard

Veteran
Popping in on the way home. Hope they got some stuff left.

Anyone tried the track pump? Sure it was about a fiver.

musa

Über Member
Whats the soft shell jacket like? I walked past it to avoid spending anymore, so many threads started never seen excitement around Aldi before...maybe another pair of shorts

I bought 2 pairs sock, 2 medium men's shorts and a 20 litre backpack.
Keeping the socks, the shorts I couldn't get past my knees - extremely small for medium!!
The bag is a little too flimsy and the waterproof cover is only for the top.
Cest la vie

Gez73

Veteran
I got two pairs of socks the medium sized pannier bags and two pairs of the medium shorts. Hope the shorts fit! Gez

redcard

Veteran
Whats the soft shell jacket like? I walked past it to avoid spending anymore, so many threads started never seen excitement around Aldi before...maybe another pair of shorts

I got a white one, in medium. It's a decent fit, feel alright quality, arms are a bit short though, but won't notice with a pair of gloves on. Might head in tomorrow to pick up another one.
Got a couple of the ultra light jackets as well, and they're pretty small for a medium. Think i'll keep one and take the other back.
Wanted to pick up some compression gear, but didn't see any mediums left, and couldn't see any socks in my size either.

Also got the computer and a pair of mitts.

Not bad for £50

Gez73

Veteran
Just tried the shorts on, the medium are quite snug ut not too much and the legs are just the right length too. Will be fine with my 'cycling only' underwear ie Y fronts!^_^ Gez

Talc1976

We're dropping in later on today. Interested in looking at the pannier bags assuming they have some left or had some at all. Thanks for the info. Gez

Lidl had some Pannier bags in when i visited this week..another option for you.

musa

Über Member
I got a white one, in medium. It's a decent fit, feel alright quality, arms are a bit short though, but won't notice with a pair of gloves on. Might head in tomorrow to pick up another one.
Got a couple of the ultra light jackets as well, and they're pretty small for a medium. Think i'll keep one and take the other back.
Wanted to pick up some compression gear, but didn't see any mediums left, and couldn't see any socks in my size either.

Also got the computer and a pair of mitts.

Not bad for £50

Aye, I'll revisit tomorrow morning myself and get one and the compression top

Pedal pusher

Veteran
I bought 2 pairs sock, 2 medium men's shorts and a 20 litre backpack.
Keeping the socks, the shorts I couldn't get past my knees - extremely small for medium!!
The bag is a little too flimsy and the waterproof cover is only for the top.
Cest la vie
I bought the shell jacket and had to go XL I normally would take a large and still have loads of room. Might be wise to go up a size on everything.

musa

Über Member
went back today pretty much clothing wise had gone no baselayers left and the shell jacket was either too small or just that bit big so left empty handed

Top Bottom