aldi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
don't get me wrong, they're ok - i just don't really undersand them? as in, the advantage over normal trousers?

I guess the more seasoned roadies out there will have a more detailed answer, especially as I haven't actually got round to trying these out yet.

I've been convinced that bib tights can have advantages, even if just swapped for the normal cycle shorts under the baggies. If only for the continuous protection from the elements over the kidneys.

Noticed also that full length and 3/4 trousers (including baggies) can grip/fail to stretch over the knee cap(?) Lycra has plenty of stretch.

Trying the biblongs seemed a natural progression.
As I said at a tenner I figured it was worth it.

Just got to be dark. I'm old enough to have images of Max Wall going thro my head!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

gambatte said:
I guess the more seasoned roadies out there will have a more detailed answer, especially as I haven't actually got round to trying these out yet.

I've been convinced that bib tights can have advantages, even if just swapped for the normal cycle shorts under the baggies. If only for the continuous protection from the elements over the kidneys.

Noticed also that full length and 3/4 trousers (including baggies) can grip/fail to stretch over the knee cap(?) Lycra has plenty of stretch.

Trying the biblongs seemed a natural progression.
As I said at a tenner I figured it was worth it.

Just got to be dark. I'm old enough to have images of Max Wall going thro my head!

hmm... I see what you mean about the stretching. I can see how they would be logical for road riding, even so though the point of insulation is to keep a layer of air next to you - if you've got tight lycra then there's not much air there, although with fleece lined i would imagine there'd be quite a bit.
I generally just wear normal trousers (e.g. old cords/velour jeans;)) because i see them as more protective, aswell as being not too warm or cold. Never wear shorts on the mtb. Although I suppose full length lycra is almost as protective as normal trousers, as it's mainly mild scratches/nettles that I want protection against, if you're going to come off fast it's going to hurt anyway. For freedom of movement purposes lycra's obviously got the edge, although I don't really have any problems on that score anyway with normal trousers. Apparently another problem with bib longs is 'convenience' (i think there's been another thread about this :biggrin:)
nah don't worry mate wear what you like i won't laugh :biggrin:
the poncey comment is mainly directed at people who buy (and wear, or attempt to wear) such stuff without really knowing why, other than to follow a trend (and there are lots of such people!:o)
if you've evaluated them on the other hand and like 'em good on you - i suppose if you like them then fleece lined for a tenner isn't bad aswell.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

i'm just curious though alecs are they actually as warm as loose trousers of the same material would be - i.e. is there any less insulation due to the limited amount of air between them and your skin due to the tightness?

Membrane

The argument for skin tight cycle clothing is that it wicks sweat away from the skin, such garments are best suited to sportive cyclists. Loose fitting garments generally work well for those who sweat less such as more leisurely cyclists or commuters.

Sweating in a loose fitting garment doesn't allow the sweat to evaporate as well and perform its temperature controlling function. It might stream off you and result in wet patches. Starting and stopping when you are wet with accumulated sweat causes temperature swings. When sweat is wicked directly to the surface of the garment the temperature swings when stopping and starting are noticably less.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
i'm just curious though alecs are they actually as warm as loose trousers of the same material would be - i.e. is there any less insulation due to the limited amount of air between them and your skin due to the tightness?

not sure, as i have never ridden in normal trousers since a teen. jeans are painful when wet on a bike so (as i only wear jeans anyway off the bike) proper cycling wear is the way to go for me.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
not sure, as i have never ridden in normal trousers since a teen. jeans are painful when wet on a bike so (as i only wear jeans anyway off the bike) proper cycling wear is the way to go for me.

I used to do my commute in 3/4 length corduroy shorts (made by Billabong) after half remembering someone say that cords stay relatively warm in the wet. I found them ok with cycling shorts underneath, but the Aldi or dhb 3/4s (tight) were warmer and more comfortable.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
had my aldi bib longs on this morning. perfect for a chilly day and a steal for £10, but i don't expect to claim any fashion awards for wearing them though :ohmy:

Yes, I got 3 of them and they are good value for money.... and today I got some reflective bands :biggrin: nearly ready for the winter :biggrin:

Rick

Top Bottom