Aldi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
+1 for Aldi clothing being better than Lidl. But I have the Lidl work-stand and tool-kit which I use regularly. I have Lidl MTB shoes and, though I don't use them as often as my dhb R1's (road shoes) are still going after 2 years. I'm looking forward to the Aldi kit sale as some of the kit I bought over the last 2 years is now getting a bit loose on my reducing body shape.

Anyone know when the Aldi gear should appear?
Keep an eye out for the "Found a Bargain? Do Tell" thread.

The lycra cycling shorts are coming unstitched in an embarrasing location, however.[/quote]

+1 for the potential popping out

The local aldi to me has some of the winter jackets in at the bargain price of 5.99. Pick and choose and you can't go too far wrong.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Anyone else nip into to aldi for bread/juice/something small but end up leaving with 2 bags of random gear?

I've given up guessing what I'm going in for now ;)

I think you'll find that it's illegal to leave an Aldi store without buying a set of ring spanners.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Just brought two Bamboo Base layers from Aldi. There weren't many of them left in the Romsey Branch. They are lovely and soft but it says that they are made from 67% Viscose, 28% Cotton & 5% Elastane. I am being stupid but there doesn't appear to be any actual Bamboo in them? Could some who knows about such matters please inform us to what is going on please.

al-fresco

Just brought two Bamboo Base layers from Aldi. There weren't many of them left in the Romsey Branch. They are lovely and soft but it says that they are made from 67% Viscose, 28% Cotton & 5% Elastane. I am being stupid but there doesn't appear to be any actual Bamboo in them? Could some who knows about such matters please inform us to what is going on please.

Hmm, that's interesting. I've just been and looked at the Bamboo baselayer I bought from Blacks last year and what it says is "Main Fabric - 58% Polyester 42% Bamboo charcoal." I've worn it quite a lot and it seems pretty good when the going gets sweaty, wicks well and dries fast. I'll pop into Aldi and have a look at theirs.

al-fresco

Ahhh - according to the outer label on the Aldi stuff the Viscose is "derived from Bamboo." Presumably the same (or similar) process to the "Bamboo charcoal" in mine. I agree that it doesn't have the same romance as Bamboo that has been torn from the grasp of a Giant Panda. Worth a try at the price though.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I remember making a few chemical textiles when I taught chemistry in the mid '80's. Nylon and Rayon. Rayon is from the cellulose of wood pulp. Viscose is the starting liquid for Rayon. So the starter for these tops will be from bamboo.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Thanks Guitarpete for that. So bamboo products aren't so green as they made out to be. Lots of nasty chemicals are needed that process the material has a result emits lots of CO2.

Top Bottom