Alex cx26 rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philhh

What size tyre will these rims take I've got 28 mm on at the moment but would like to put on a 25mm tyre something like a gatorskin would these be OK on these rims

Ajax Bay

Guru
17mm cyclocross rim for V-Brakes.
Light and stiff, suitable up to 2“ tires
700C, 622X19, 450g
Sleeve joint
Silver, Black / CSW

These rims are really designed for tyres of 28mm width and above (spec says 51mm max). The tech specs are not completely clear (taken from the alexrims site) but it's either 17mm internal distance or 19mm. If the latter, definitely not suitable for 25s. 17mm - marginal (that's not to say you couldn't fit them) but not recommended.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Not sure about this it's a road bike (equilibrium 30)
What are you not sure about? The rim is an XC rim, specifically chosen so wider tyres can be fitted. Why would you want to run a 25? Better rolling resistance? No; worse (at the same pressure). Less comfortable (yes). Better aero? Not really/marginal (25 v 28) and you're not going to be time trialling with this bike. Lighter weight? Maybe 10-20g. It's a steel frame so lightness is presumably not your key criterion.

"Equilibrium 30, priced at £1699, and one of three bikes offered by Genesis for the first time with Campagnolo components: in this instance, the alloy version of the Vicenza firm’s Athena chainset, mechs, and shifters, themselves a model year 2015 iteration with claims for reduced lever throw and improved ergonomics.
"The alloy chainset is equipped with a compact 50-34 ratio, and paired with a 12-27 cassette in further nod to the Equilibrium’s multitude of possible applications (winter trainer, summer tourer, sportive companion etc).
"The Equilibrium 30 rolls on an aluminium clincher rim from Alex, the CX26, one of many specified by Genesis this year to boast a 17mm internal diameter, intended to provide better seating for wider tyres, in this case 28c Continental Grand Sport treads."

OP
OP
Philhh

Philhh

well the local bike shop techy's have just said the rim will take anything from 23 to 28 mm without any problems.I'm not going to be time trialing anyway - much as I admire those who do its not why I ride- its more of a summer tourer (I've just got another bike for Winter! ) for me but thanks for the reply and advice.

Top Bottom