Alex Dowsett's hour attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Alex Dowsett is in Mexico for his hour attempt on Wednesday (is that the 3rd?). Hoping he does it - he's had a rough season and I always think he seems like a nice bloke.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/do...as-he-acclimatises-for-hour-record-in-mexico/

I don't understand why he's doing it at altitude? Whenever I ran at altitude when we lived in California, I always found it brutally hard. Does anyone cleverer than I have the answer?

midlife

Guru
At altitude the density of the air is less dense so less aerodynamic drag. Downside is less oxygen for respiration... With enough haemoglobin the altitude wins

13 rider

Guru
He is slightly acclimatised as during the season he lives in Andora at the a slightly high level than Mexico . Was going to do it in Manchester but the velodrome is having a new roof . So altitude it is thinner air versus less power which wins .
Lots of vids on his YouTube channel thigh club
Edit beat too it by @DCLane

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Thanks for the altitude info, people. I guess that's where running and cycling at altitude differ. And good point about Andorra being high up already.

The body adapts to altitude , it compensates. I’d estimate whenever I’ve gone over 6,000 to 7,000 metres in altitude it takes 3-4 weeks to acclimatise. If you went to altitude and acclimatised you’d find the running just as easy as where you currently live.

For the hour record to work at altitude he will need to be fairly well acclimatised. Going from sea level to significant height and immediately trying for the record would not work.

midlife

Guru
The body adapts to altitude , it compensates. I’d estimate whenever I’ve gone over 6,000 to 7,000 metres in altitude it takes 3-4 weeks to acclimatise. If you went to altitude and acclimatised you’d find the running just as easy as where you currently live.

For the hour record to work at altitude he will need to be fairly well acclimatised. Going from sea level to significant height and immediately trying for the record would not work.

Despite all of Peter Post's cash I think that was Roy Schuiten's downfall....

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member

That’s what bewildered me. But I forgot he lives in Andorra!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hmmm, live stream on iPlayer doesn't seem to have got going.... It should have started by now?

Top Bottom