Alex Higgins .......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Wish him all the best. In the days when I used to watch snooker, he was phenomenal. And with an attitude I liked too. Saw my old man fade (rapidly, thankfully) with cancer 25 yrs ago, and those last 2 months of his are precious memories now.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
661-Pete said:
Well, I'm about a year younger than Higgins. I look at the photos of him, and I think a lot of thoughts. And memories - lots of them. Some of them are memories I would rather not awaken - but they're there all the same. Like that good-natured and genial family friend I knew as a kindly 'uncle' when I was a small child. I remembered how that person looked, in his prime. I also remembered how he looked the last time I saw him (he was dying of stomach cancer - aged mid 60s).

Perhaps when Higgins passes on - as he will surely, and probably sooner rather than later - people will remember him for his good times - his genius and brilliance at the table. Not these sad images.

++1.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Andy in Sig said:
Poor bloke. I'm surprised to see that they have to do a fundraiser to get 20k for his teeth implants as there is so much money swilling around snooker and amongst his former colleagues.

There maybe but in AH's wilder moments I think he upset a lot people in the game. He made a lot of fans but made quite a few enemies in high places which on reflection was not a wise move, but that was AH. I think he just did not fit the image of a world champion that the snooker governing body wanted to promote at the time and that in turn caused AH more frustration so much he hit the self destruct button. But the guy was a genius on the snooker table. It is nice to see that some players albeit the senior ones still have time for him. I bet the players conspicuous by their absences will all queue up to pay tribute to him when he finally passes away. They won't go to his funeral though.

Manonabike

Über Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonali
That's bollocks, he's probably still on the booze and fags diet. If he wants to put on weight all he needs is a liquidiser and some cream cakes!

vernon said:
A fantastic five star display of ignorance on all fronts.

+1 to vermon comment and I would add the word nasty too

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Mark_Robson said:
Unless your a doctor I would quit while your ahead and show some compassion.

+ 1. I think 'Dr' Simon will find that most sufferers of this type of cancer don't particularly like to eat anything - soft or liquid, and if they do, it stands a very good chance of being brought back up.

Debian

simonali said:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6wLagsmuaM

F/F to 2:46 when he glugs a pint of Guinness down.

I think it is plenty easy to get decent sustenance from a soft food diet, but suspect he's merely on a mostly "liquid" diet instead.

And would you like to tell us your qualifications that enable you to pronounce with such authority, and the evidence you have?

.... no, on second thoughts don't bother. Nasty and horrible comments like yours we can well do without, on here or anywhere else!

simonali said:
I think it is plenty easy to get decent sustenance from a soft food diet, but suspect he's merely on a mostly "liquid" diet instead.
Simonali.

You probably don't have direct experience of having someone close to you being fed via a NG tube for lengthy periods.

I do :biggrin:.

I strongly urge you to follow the advice which others have given here.

darkstar

simonali said:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6wLagsmuaM

F/F to 2:46 when he glugs a pint of Guinness down.

I though after reading your first comment you may just give up. But then you post this rubbish, he doesn't 'glug a pint of Guinness down'. He tentatively sips a ridiculously small amount of Guinness.

Please stop these nasty comments. He's achieved more in his life than most of us, have some respect.

I thought I read in the article that he is on a 10 year remission from throat cancer? If the money is raised so he can have his teeth replaced, and he can start getting some decent nutrition down, then his quality of life will improve. If he is still on cancer drugs to control the remission, then that will play havoc with his appetite too. Most of the time you just don't want to eat on them.

It's very sad - he may be down but he's not out though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Higgens is the greatest snooker player I ever saw, anyone who thinks O'Sullivan is fast around the table would think again if they saw Alex in his prime. Some of the shots he pulled off would not have occurred to any other player to even attempt. He was a flawed character and not very nice to know, but an absolute genius with a cue and the man who turned to game from a backwater sport into what it eventually became.

The state he is in now is unbelievably sad.

tyred

Legendary Member
Sadly, I am too young to have seen him in his prime but have seen a replay of frame against a very young Jimmy White at the crucible and he produced the most amazing clearance I ever seen.

One way of looking at things is that he has packed more into his 61 years than most of us would in a couple of lifetimes. It is always sad to see someone suffer as he is doing, but he has had a lot of fun on the way. I wish him the best.

Top Bottom