Alfine 8 speed - end of the road ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pete_alfine

Hi - newbie here with another thread on Alfine hubs. I have an 8 speed hub that started skipping in 5/6/7 - this happened about a year ago and a bike shop were able to largely fix it with adjustment (to the cable I'm guessing). This time no such luck and it's still skipping albeit a bit less so. After a couple of shortish rides to work and back it's now going/gone for good. I can't get it to change into any gear other than 4. Changing into higher gears and the cassette joint doesn't move. Changing into lower gears kind of works but there is a bit of grinding going on (ouch) and it still is in 4th.
So I've looked at hours of YT videos and read countless threads and so I thought I have a go at taking it apart.
I've gotten the internal mechanism out, removed the circlip at the non drive end but the two parts with gears will only separate so far. I've twiddled the gear selector right round so that in theory at least all the pawls are retracted but it still won't come apart. So I'm suspecting that one of pawls is stuck / broken and it's time for a new bike or hub. Selector moves about 90 degrees - is that correct ?
Any ideas ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_144008.jpg
    IMG_20230205_144008.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 20

Big John

Guru
Can't help, I'm afraid, but I'll watch this thread with genuine interest. I've done a 3 speed Sturmey but nothing bigger. I'm sure someone on here will have successfully done an Alfine and will hopefully pass on their hard earned knowledge. We're often told that these hub gears rarely go wrong but yours definitely sounds suspect. Until someone comes along it might be worth spraying it to death with GT85 and see if that does any good. However, if a spring has gone on a pawl no amount of lube will cure it.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Have you tried degreasing it and dunking it in oil (automatic transmission fluid is good) for a while?

Top Bottom