Alfine 8 speed hub issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Scott Sub 10 with an Alfine 8 speed rear hub that continues to give me issues.

Every once and a while the cable stop that changes gears falls off. In the picture below the hex nut drops out of the pulley slot. It is an easy road side repair when the conditions are good but when it is -20C and you have to take your mitten off it is freaking cold.

How can I stop this from falling off, I have checked to ensure the cable is tensioned correctly.

6a00d8342008e353ef01b8d13d6fff970c-500wi.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a Scott Sub 10 with an Alfine 8 speed rear hub that continues to give me issues.

Every once and a while the cable stop that changes gears falls off. In the picture below the hex nut drops out of the pulley slot. It is an easy road side repair when the conditions are good but when it is -20C and you have to take your mitten off it is freaking cold.

How can I stop this from falling off, I have checked to ensure the cable is tensioned correctly.

6a00d8342008e353ef01b8d13d6fff970c-500wi.png

See the bit that has an allen key inserted into it in the picture, the cable goes inside that to stop it coming out of the recess in the shifter ring.

Reactions: mjr

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Sounds like the recess is worn (it's plastic and not very strong) or you're not putting it in properly. It only goes in one way properly, although you can get it in improperly but it won't stay.

Failing that you could always replace that part. Check Shimano tech docs for the part number.

The nut on the cable has to engage with the slot on the cassette arm . You have to align the flat sides of nut with the slot by twisting it a little. Have the slots on the cassette arm that engage with the nut worn? Is so you need a new cassette arm.

Top Bottom