Alfine 8 speed - noise after servicing

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Moodyman, 7 Aug 2012.

1. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

My 8 speed Alfine has done 4000 miles. It was serviced after 2500 miles by the shop with Shimano grease.
    Last week, I serviced it again – but I used Auto Transmission Fluid (ATF) as is commonly advised on forums. I then greased the bearings before putting it back together. Before I put it back together, I checked the cogs and there was no play.
    But after mounting the hub back on the bike and doing 3 commutes, I noticed that:
    * The gear change is super slick
    * The hub is silence when freewheeling and gears 5-8 are whisper quiet whilst pedalling.
    BUT…
    Gears 1 & 2 make a loud whirring noise (bordering on grinding) – especially when cadence is low – i.e. uphill (70-80rpm). Gears 3 & 4 make a quieter whir when the cadence is low, but this disappears when the cadence is 90+. I’ve checked and double-checked to make sure the nuts are not overtightened or too loose.
    Is it simply a case of ATF being thinner and less viscose than grease so not as good as silencing the hub or should I be worried about this noise?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice