Algarve cycle routes from Alvor / Portimao area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyre forest blues

Über Member
Has anyone got any road cycle routes in the Algarve, specifically looping from and return to Alvor or Portimao area. I have found a couple on the internet but need a few more for a week holiday. Distance about 50 miles give or take. Dont mind a few climbs or on the flats. I can design my own on Garmin but tried and tested routes would help.

Has anyone got any road cycle routes in the Algarve, specifically looping from and return to Alvor or Portimao area. I have found a couple on the internet but need a few more for a week holiday. Distance about 50 miles give or take. Dont mind a few climbs or on the flats. I can design my own on Garmin but tried and tested routes would help.

Since no-one has replied I'll mention CycleTravel, a pretty useful tool for planning routes on quieter, more scenic routes. It has a "loop" suggestion function for a chosen distance and elevation can be seen. It plays nice with gps units or will create maps and route instructions if you prefer. Sharing is easy, too.
It was used pretty successfully for something similar recently, albeit in a different location.

Be warned about pulling random routes for that part of the world without some context. Night cycling can be a thing in these parts of the world. I recently came across someone who had been having a bad time on busy roads following routes found on the net. I'm pretty sure he was riding them at the wrong time of the day.

Good luck!

DogmaStu

Apologies, only saw this now!

https://www.strava.com/clubs/Velochique

Look up the Velochique cycling club on Strava. They often have no-drop rides but if you post there, you may find a cycling partner but at the very least, look up their rides since they all start and end at BP Alvor.

The Velochique Cafe in Monchique is a lovely place to ride to from Portimao and it is a cycling cafe.

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
Thank you both for your replies. Since I first posted I have been looking at bikemap.net which has a number of routes out of Alvor / Portimao. As its only for a week i should be able to find 6 routes. Velochique cafe and club is a great tip, as is cycletravel.

DogmaStu

Thank you both for your replies. Since I first posted I have been looking at bikemap.net which has a number of routes out of Alvor / Portimao. As its only for a week i should be able to find 6 routes. Velochique cafe and club is a great tip, as is cycletravel.

I lived there permanently from 2017 - 2023 and plan to return to living there in the next few years so know the area very well. Plenty of very keen cyclists. Next month is the Volta ao Algarve Pro tour where the top World Tour Pro's race and you get to meet and even ride with them on their training rides beforehand.

If you need a cycle shop for spares or even rental, Rui at OneBike in Portimao is your man.

As I say, the ride up to Monchique - and Foia at the top - is very worthwhile, very scenic and you get to stop at Velochique for cake.

TomDW

When are you going? I'll be getting some routes from SunBikeTours as I'm hiring from them late February. I'm sure RideWithGPS has if you search based on Alvor as starting point. WikiLoc is another good resource.

Top Bottom