AliExpress for bike parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
I spent three years at a big name factory owned retail store. We had fake Shimano, in genuine looking packaging, showing up in the pipeline at our shop from reputable wholesalers, so fake stuff is everywhere. When it got spotted the wholesaler let everybody in the supply chain know how to spot it so we could get it off our shelves. The last place I would buy it would be online from a place like AliExpress, that just asking for trouble.
 

PaulSB

Squire
My eBay seller had lots of 5 star reviews. I have ridden dozens of chains over the years but could I tell a 105 chain from a Dura ace by pedalling I doubt it.
I’m not saying that you bought fake but have been caught out by buying fake stuff, there’s no way I would buy anything unless it’s from a reputable dealer these days.
Also Merlin, Sigma sport Halfords all have times when they are selling Shimano stuff of cheap.

This is also my view. I've questioned the quality of products available via Aliexpress and Temu in the past. I've been "challenged," for want of a better word, on this.

Recently I was after a Silca Mattone Grande saddlebag. Yes, a different product to a groupset. The Silca product is +/-£45, I also saw offers from both stores for +/-£8. Wanting to make the comparison I ordered from Silca and Temu. I wanted to confirm my view products on these platforms are largely knockoffs.

The two are chalk and cheese. The Temu product is cleverly made and photographed in a manner to make it appear identical to the branded product. A direct side by side comparison shows it isn't......for one thing the Temu product is smaller with a lower capacity!!!!

Saying this Temu required a minimum spend to deliver the order. I spotted a nice little cannister bag for £6 that fulfilled a need. I'm very pleased with this but I was under no illusion I was buying anything other than a non-branded cheap little bag that was worth a punt.

Mechanical parts are important to my safety. I would never buy a cheap import which may or may not be fake.
 

super_davo

Veteran
This is also my view. I've questioned the quality of products available via Aliexpress and Temu in the past. I've been "challenged," for want of a better word, on this.

Recently I was after a Silca Mattone Grande saddlebag. Yes, a different product to a groupset. The Silca product is +/-£45, I also saw offers from both stores for +/-£8. Wanting to make the comparison I ordered from Silca and Temu. I wanted to confirm my view products on these platforms are largely knockoffs.

The two are chalk and cheese. The Temu product is cleverly made and photographed in a manner to make it appear identical to the branded product. A direct side by side comparison shows it isn't......for one thing the Temu product is smaller with a lower capacity!!!!

Saying this Temu required a minimum spend to deliver the order. I spotted a nice little cannister bag for £6 that fulfilled a need. I'm very pleased with this but I was under no illusion I was buying anything other than a non-branded cheap little bag that was worth a punt.

Mechanical parts are important to my safety. I would never buy a cheap import which may or may not be fake.

AliExpress is just a platform - same as eBay or Amazon - and there are a huge range of sellers on there.

A lot of the sellers of Chinese parts are the brands themselves. In many cases it is the only way you can get those brands.

If you're talking about Shimano then I would be much more wary. There are traders I would trust based on independent feedback and reviews but whenever I have needed something I've always been able to find something at a 'just enough of a premium' from Merlin, Sigma to not be worth the extra (potential) hassle.

As with anything - if it looks too good to be true it probably is. I would not expect a Silca Mattone for £8 but I have bought a couple of very clearly 'inspired by Silca' Chinese brands for a similar price and been very happy with what I've received.
 

Katana

Well-Known Member
I bought a 105 group set from Ali Express. Definitely original, but comes in non branded packaging. Suspect they buy them in bulk from Shimano to put on bikes for mainstream brands and sell surplus on line.

Unless it’s a cracking deal you can buy a 105 mechanical ones from UK retailers at really good prices such as Merlin. I think they have 12 speed on sale for £450.
 

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Unless it’s a cracking deal you can buy a 105 mechanical ones from UK retailers at really good prices such as Merlin. I think they have 12 speed on sale for £450.

£204 for shifters brakes and mechs hoses and cables. I have a power meter crank so didn't want the chainset. 7202 hydraulic. £420 on Merlin with cassette and crank at the moment.
 
Top Bottom