AliExpress for bike parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Legendary Member
If I bought a 105 groupset from AliExpress would the parts be fake?
Would I get hit with import tax or extra VAT fees?
Anyone with any experiences?
:smile:
 

Bristolian

Über Member
Location
Bristol, UK
I'm also considering a 105 groupset from there too. I really have no idea if they'd be genuine or not, or whether there'd be import tax and VAT applied, which has stopped me pulling the trigger several times over the past few months.

Having recently purchased a 105 crankset on here I might just continue and buy the parts piecemeal with a mix of new and used. I'm not in any rush.
 

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I bought a 105 group set from Ali Express. Definitely original, but comes in non branded packaging. Suspect they buy them in bulk from Shimano to put on bikes for mainstream brands and sell surplus on line.
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I buy a few bits regularly from Ali Express (Not too many bike parts). The real or fake argument on Shimano seems to be variable. Some appear clearly fake - other items look great and have had ‘hundreds’ of great reviews. Also at face value savings look small enough to be a saving over genuine - rather than an out and out cheap knockoff.

What I can say is import duties are ALWAYS paid at source imo. In probably 100’s (?) of orders over the years - I have occasionally pre-paid import fees etc upon purchase. But have NEVER had any extra from UK Customs or otherwise: upon receipt or after……
 

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I didn't pay any import tax. Mind you I didn't pay any on the frame or wheels I ordered.
Historically I did pay once on a frame I bought directly from a Chinese brand but not off Ali Express
 

Webbo2

Veteran
I bought a 105 group set from Ali Express. Definitely original, but comes in non branded packaging. Suspect they buy them in bulk from Shimano to put on bikes for mainstream brands and sell surplus on line.

How do you know I bought a fake Shimano chain off eBay and it had Shimano stamped on the chain. But clearly it came in fake packaging when I looked in to it.
 

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
How do you know I bought a fake Shimano chain off eBay and it had Shimano stamped on the chain. But clearly it came in fake packaging when I looked in to it.

I checked feedback before buying from the seller. They had thousands of 5star reviews some with pictures.

I have had plenty of Shimano group sets over the years and have ridden the same groupset before, so knew what it should be like.

I wouldn't buy a chain from China. I have heard stories some of the ones on Amazon are questionable as well.
 

Webbo2

Veteran
I checked feedback before buying from the seller. They had thousands of 5star reviews some with pictures.

I have had plenty of Shimano group sets over the years and have ridden the same groupset before, so knew what it should be like.

I wouldn't buy a chain from China. I have heard stories some of the ones on Amazon are questionable as well.

My eBay seller had lots of 5 star reviews. I have ridden dozens of chains over the years but could I tell a 105 chain from a Dura ace by pedalling I doubt it.
I’m not saying that you bought fake but have been caught out by buying fake stuff, there’s no way I would buy anything unless it’s from a reputable dealer these days.
Also Merlin, Sigma sport Halfords all have times when they are selling Shimano stuff of cheap.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Consumables are different from a groupset. Chains are often fake, but a groupset less so, and they are marked a lot with a QR code. I'm more interested in the add on import duties, which looks like you don't get them usually.
My eBay seller had lots of 5 star reviews. I have ridden dozens of chains over the years but could I tell a 105 chain from a Dura ace by pedalling I doubt it.
I’m not saying that you bought fake but have been caught out by buying fake stuff, there’s no way I would buy anything unless it’s from a reputable dealer these days.
Also Merlin, Sigma sport Halfords all have times when they are selling Shimano stuff
 

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My eBay seller had lots of 5 star reviews. I have ridden dozens of chains over the years but could I tell a 105 chain from a Dura ace by pedalling I doubt it.
I’m not saying that you bought fake but have been caught out by buying fake stuff, there’s no way I would buy anything unless it’s from a reputable dealer these days.
Also Merlin, Sigma sport Halfords all have times when they are selling Shimano stuff of cheap.

That is your choice. I haven't had an issue on Ali Express. Just make sure there are genuine reviews. Photos are harder to fake than great seller five stars type reviews
 

super_davo

Veteran
There are a few well trusted traders on AliExpress selling genuine Shimano such as the Anracee store and Yiwu Donglue. There is a thread on the Chinertown forum dedicated to this topic and lots of very happy posters.

But there are also an awful lot of fakes.

I would have no problem ordering from either of those, except that very often I can get better prices from the likes of Merlin or Sigma if you buy at the right time when the right sales are on.
 
Top Bottom