All booked up for France tour. Anyone familiar with St Malo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
Realising that we'd got less than 6 weeks until the planned departure (5th September), I thought I'd better get booked up. Train/ferry for Bristol-St Malo is now booked up for a 'first proper tour' over two weeks in September.

Anyone got any tips for getting out of St Malo and also for camping nearby for the return leg?

Redvers

Your route out of St Malo rather depends on where you are going, as St Malo, nice as it is, is a bit like Dover, somewhere you go to when you are going somewhere else.

If you are heading west into Bretagne you may wish to cross the Rance on the D168, follow signs for the Airport and Ploubalay.

If you are going south or east we usually head from the ferry terminal towards St Servan. After about 5kms, look out for signs for the D2, direction St Melour. Once you’re on the D2 follow signs for Chateau Malo. This route, although a bit tricky to find, will take you up hill out of the town on a quiet lane where cyclists have priority. From Chateau Malo you can continue southeast towards Dol de Bretagne or bear south, in the general direction of Dinan on reasonably quiet roads.

There are dozens of camping sites in the area, including one at Parame actually in St Malo. Michelin guide ones can be found at La Richardais, near the airport, St Jouan, on the Rance and at St Pere near Chateauneuf. There’s a good one at Pleudihen on the way to Dinan.
Bon Route!

Robert

I've done Saint-Malo to South West France for the last two years. Last year we went down the Rance cycle path to Dinan, but got out of Saint-Malo via Saint-Jouan-de-Guérets and Saint-Sulian, crossing the Rance on the D366 at Port Saint-Jean. There's a map on Day1 of my Crazyguyonabike journal. I'd read about the ferry across to Dinard, but I thought it might be more hassle than it's worth with a loaded tandem and I couldn't locate the start of the voie-vert in Dinard.

scraynes

Über Member
OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Thanks all - that's superb for our starter day. I'm happy just following our noses and a road map for the rest of it but was just a little concerned about the usual port town/city road network.

Top Bottom