All in West Yorkshire Please Read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I read that on the news earlier. I hope that this has a happy ending, but if it is a genuine call then it really doesn't sound hopeful for the mother.

I'm absolutely amazed that the telecoms industry can't trace such a call these days. There must be a log somewhere of all the connections made to route that call through to the police. I'd have thought that they could locate the phone to within a triangle of the 3 nearest mobile phone masts and then just send out scores of officers and knock on every door in that area.

How many streets in the Leeds area can end in Court and have a number 23, that Detectives can't check the electrol roll and send someone round to knock?

ColinJ

In fact ... Assuming that the phone battery hasn't gone flat and the child hasn't switched it off, it will constantly be communicating with the nearest phone masts. There must be a mechanism for asking the phone companies which masts are picking up signals from that phone.

I do not believe that the authorities could not trace the call if they went about it properly. If a terrorist group phoned a bomb warning through, how long do you think it would take to locate the phone used if it were left switched on?

OP
OP
GetAGrip

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
That is such a relief.
Having said that, I hope the girls get slightly more than their pocket money stopped for a week!!!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Puzzled how 2 girls in Bridlington can call 999 and get put through to West Yorks?. Landlines automatically go to the nearest 999 operator, and as ColinJ alluded, a mobile does that automatically from the nearest mast...?

Edit: Unless they were in West Yorks.....

ColinJ

Did I misread Birmingham for Bridlington, or did the Yorkshire Evening Post edit their article after I linked to it?

I thought it was a bit odd that a child phoning from Brum had a Yorkshire accent!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Did I misread Birmingham for Bridlington, or did the Yorkshire Evening Post edit their article after I linked to it?

I thought it was a bit odd that a child phoning from Brum had a Yorkshire accent!
Dunno, but given the Tom Daley twitter incident, and now a massive search, all sparked by complete idiots, you have to wonder if the lunatics are taking over te asylum?

ColinJ

It isn't a modern phenomenon though, is it? Only the technology changes. People used to make obscene and threatening phone calls, or write nasty anonymous letters. Now they just do that kind of thing via Twitter, Facebook or SMS.

Top Bottom