All round bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
I'm looking at three bikes for all weather city riding with terrible pot holed roads.
Light to medium touring, not the alps
icon_lol.gif

Canal and off road paths.
Disc brakes and comfy ride.
Budget up to £600 max.

Narrowed it down to three bikes at Edinburgh Bike Co-op:
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/marin-four-corners-16
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-country-2-16?bct=browse/bicycles/touring-bikes
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/giant-revolt-3-16?bct=browse/bicycles/cyclocross-bikes

Now looking at specifications:
Marin Four Corners looks great apart from the brakes which are Promax. Hadn't heard of them, seem to get bad press.
Sora equiped and 4130 butted chromoly

Revolution, Claris equiped, heavier but great price and Tektro brakes

Giant Revolt. Get past the odd looks and well equiped, no front rack mounts on Carbon forks. Mate has one and it seems a great ride.
Also has Tektro top bar brake levers as well as drop brakes.
I like my 80's bike 'suicide levers' for trimmimg speed on decent's/city roads.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd suggest:

Marin - OK as budget bikes.
Revolution - avoid.
Giant - they're popular and the carbon fork will be better.

Of those I'd suggest the Giant.

OP
OP
Metal8

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
I'd suggest:

Marin - OK as budget bikes.
Revolution - avoid.
Giant - they're popular and the carbon fork will be better.

Of those I'd suggest the Giant.
Thanks DCLane.
Bit concerned about the compact frame and the odd placing of the rear rack mounts on the seat stays for fitting a rack.

Interested, why avoid Revolution?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If you fancy the Giant, Thule make a rack designed to fit that type of frame.

Not cheap at about £85, but a mate of mine has one so I can confirm it's a quality item.

https://www.thule.com/en/gb/bike-ac...acks/thule-pack-n-pedal-tour-rack-_-pp_100016

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'd you want the touring bit, then the Marin is the choice. Comfort of steel plus it has rack mounts front and rear (and mudguard mounts) plus sora 9 spd gruppo. If the brakes are pants you can always upgrade, I cam see them.beung much diff to the tektros

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Giant does at least have sensibly low gearing for touring - a mountain triple on the front.

Many CX/cross/gravel bikes have doubles, the smaller ring still being too big for loaded or serious climbing.

Several threads on here from CX owners wanting to lower the gearing, and two of my mates who have CX bikes have done the same.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The Giant does at least have sensibly low gearing for touring - a mountain triple on the front.

Many CX/cross/gravel bikes have doubles, the smaller ring still being too big for loaded or serious climbing.

Several threads on here from CX owners wanting to lower the gearing, and two of my mates who have CX bikes have done the same.
You say that but I have replaced a chainset like that one my touring bike - the 50 was irrelevant and the 30 not low enough :laugh:

OP
OP
Metal8

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
I'd you want the touring bit, then the Marin is the choice. Comfort of steel plus it has rack mounts front and rear (and mudguard mounts) plus sora 9 spd gruppo. If the brakes are pants you can always upgrade, I cam see them.beung much diff to the tektros

Indeed!!
Test rode all three today. First Giant then Revolution then the steel one!
Felt like a steel bike, handled great and was so much smoother in the drive train and gearing. Felt right immediately.
Bike Co-op had two left and no more stock available so deposit down, collect on Monday.

Only slight disappointment are the brakes. They do feel more spongy and slightly less powerful than the Giant but not a huge difference than the dual piston Tektro's.
Getting them to fit the extra brake levers for £16 including fitting.

Many thanks to all who replied.
I'll post back with a review/update when I've given it some good mileage.

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom